mod v speeds

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guido469

Reaction score
Anybody have a 16ft mod v with an older-80's- 50hp on it? If so are you reaching speeds of over 30mph? Cause thats all i can get and was wondering if thats all i can expect.Motor runs like a top but cant get over 30. thanks

That sounds kinda slow. I get 22 mph with my 18hp on a 15 foot Jon (square bow). Have you got as lot of decking in your boat?

I have a late 80's Evinrude on my 16 foot mod V. With a 13 pitch prop at 6000 rpm (up against the limiter) I get 26 mph. It really needs a new prop!

I figured at most I might get 32-33mph out of it with a better pitch prop, I'm just too cheap to buy one. So I keep the rpms around 5-5.5k and cruise at 22-23 mph.

It has a lot to do with the bottom of your boat too. I'm pushing a mess thru the water, there is no 'pad' on my 1978 aluminum boat :LOL2:

Mines a 1654 and I usually hit 31 at 6000 with my 40hp that is geared 2:1 and a 10.5 x 13p prop. Sounds like you need a new prop.

I have a 16ft duracraft with a 2003 50hp. I have 2 props. A low pitch for hunting season (to get up on a plane quickly in low water and to carry extra weight) and higher pitch for regular fishing.

It has been a while since I have paid attention, but from what I remember, here are my rough top speeds recorded with GPS.

13 pitch = 29-31mph
19 pitch = 36-38mph

I think I could get a few more MPH's out of the 19 pitch, but the boat gets a little squirrelly when fully trimmed out and at those speeds.

KRS

One thing you have to remember is the old outboards rated horsepower isn't near what it is on a newer motor. I would bet mine would get around 20mph with a newer 20hp motor.

I am about to put a 84 merc 50hp on my 1654 Custom Flats mod V boat. It has never been in the water with any motor so not sure what to expect. Got some good reference #s from this thread though. I don't expect much more than 30mph since my boat is heavier than most its size. Alum is right at 1/8" thick and I have added some weight with mods and batteries. Just hope it plains out at a relatively low speed. Would definitely be interested in your new #s.

I have a 1648 Grizzly with a 2000 3cylinder 35hp Johnson 2 stroke tiller and I am running 28kt's = 32.2mph. I am also running a 11 pitch stainless steel omc prop.

When I was trying desparately to put a 35 hp on my boat that is rated for a 25hp max, I talked to several boat mech's, some reputable and some "not so reputable". Most of them told me the same thing.....

In a nutshell most of them told me that a boat hull will only go so fast. No matter what you put on it. If you overpower it the extra weight of the motor will offset the performance you would gain from the extra hp. It may go a little faster but it will start to porpious and you will have to add a fin to the lower unit to stop it from bouncing. That in turn will slow you back down.

I was told that on my boat (1542 Alumacraft flat bottom) a properly set up 25 hp with the right prop would run faster than a heavier 35 hp. That is what I ended up doing because I trust this guys knowledge and experience. I hope he is right.

The reason I trust him is because I offered him $100.00 extra to rig the 35hp for me and he refused. I was even going to buy the 35 from him. Instead I got the newer cheaper 25 and had him rig it for me.

Now what he said makes sense because it seems that most of the people that have posted up on this thread with similar boats and different size motors all run close to the 30mph mark. Some a little less and some a little more but not much. KRS62 has the fastest posted so far at 36-38mph but hes running a 19 pitch prop and 50hp motor. Thats not much faster than you and he as 15 more ponies and a faster prop.

Maybe you can try a diff prop or mess with your weight distribution to get a little more speed. I would leave it alone, 5 hp isnt worth all the work and money.