Freshwater vs. Saltwater

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've never been freshwater fishing. Last week i was fishing and i caught a 40 pound stingray. When i pulled it on the dock it gave birth.

Attachments

• DSC01025.JPG
    DSC01025.JPG
    119.4 KB · Views: 730
  • DSC01024.JPG
    DSC01024.JPG
    107.4 KB · Views: 730
  • DSC01023.JPG
    DSC01023.JPG
    92.4 KB · Views: 730
:twisted: FRESHWATER!!!!! Bass fishing is way more challenging/rewarding then Saltwater fishing. By the way I fished SALT(still do a little for stripers)for many years starting back in the early 80's.

I don't care. They both rock.

I'm lucky enough to live in a place where you can catch both flavors of fish at once whether you are in fresh or salt.

Salt, but I really havent fresh water fished since I was a kid... Nothing like the sound of a screaming drag!!!

Flatsdaddy said:
I don't care. They both rock.

I'm lucky enough to live in a place where you can catch both flavors of fish at once whether you are in fresh or salt.

Exactly

There are pros and cons to both

I like FW because it is close, i can leave the house and be fishing in 10 minutes. But, we do not eat the fish and there is a limit to the various species.

in SW I love the fact that you NEVER KNOW. I have been out flounder fishing and hooked into huge sandbar sharks that stripped my line and smashed my equipment. Of course, offshore the fish get bigger and wayyyyyy badder then anything else you can do. Hooking up with a 100 lb class tuna is a sure test of skill equipment and sheer will power. You cannot catch anything in FW that swims at 40 mph and is built like that.

That being said, i like to fish, anywhere, anytime and as often as possible

As long as I'm fishing it really doesn't matter. I mostly fish fresh and tidal for bass, I'm not a big fan of just driving around with my line hanging out the back of the boat waiting for a fish to come along unless there is plenty of BEER. I would like to try some off shore fishing some time.

I'll take whatever I can get, but if I had the choice, it would be saltwater, HANDS DOWN. And, solely for that reason, just as soon as I can swing it, I'll be heading down to the coast.

Hence why I like these landlocked stripers so much. Closest thing I can get to saltwater.

How does the bare aluminum on a hull hold up to the salt water? I have debated putting my tin in the bay, but wasnt sure how bad it was for it.

I see bare aluminum hulls in salt water here all the time. It doesn't seem to affect them. Mine is painted and I've been running it in salt for about 15 years with no problems.

It is, however, pure hell on everything else. Wiring (trailer and boat), trailer, switches, motor. You just wash it all as well as you can and fix it every so often.

My preference is fresh water but I like salt water too. Fresh water lakes around here are pretty laid back compared to salt water rivers. In a lake you can stretch out and relax. You have to stay on your toes while fishing saltwater due to the increased boat traffic, wind and waves. It is very rarely calm in salt water like it is in freshwater. Even if the day is calm the boats do not care if they run by you within 50 feet at wide open throttle. Sometimes I get the feeling they are trying to capsize you. You get 3'-4' waves in Charleston harbor in a 14' tin and you have your hands full, not too relaxing. The reason the waves get so bad is that once you leave the channel in the middle of the Ashley and Cooper rivers the harbor is actually very shallow.

As for catching big fish it can be done in freshwater too. Fifty pound cats are common here. They are a blast to catch. There you are just starting to dose off and your drag starts screaming. You jump up, heart pounding and grab the rod knowing you have a fight ahead. Needlenose gar are another fun fish to catch. Did you know they can jump out of water just like a sailfish or marlin can when hooked? I have had onlookers stop their boat to watch me catch them wishing to see them jump again. They all tell me that they did not know that garfish jumped like that. a large garfish around here goes about twenty pounds. A very large goes about twenty five pounds.

in regards to fish devil :LMFAO: you obviously haven't tried tarpon fishing or offshore fishing or snook fishing round here we got more bass then we know what to do with yesterday i caught a 11 pounder on bread :lol: but to answer the question saltwater!!!!!