Help with materials

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Usmctanker

Reaction score
I can't find anyone around me that sellsaluminum to build my floor out of. Where does everyone get theirs and what thickness did you guys use?

I thought about the road sign thing but I called and they told me they recycle them...or did you you guys just..uh..borrow them :)

I'm just across the river in Bonham. If you're talking about aluminum for the framing, here's two options:

1) If you don't mind taking a drive, check Craigs List for the Dallas area (but start with Texoma first - you might get lucky) doing a search for "ladders". You won't beleve how many people are just trying to get rid of broken ladders for $30 bucks or less. This takes a little gas and time, but part of the satisfaction of this type of project is the time you put in doing the problem solving. I was planning to go this route until -

2) I went to a recycling yard in Sherman. There's at least two on Hwy 82, west of Sherman and another one practically in downtown. I only had to go to one, where I got 42 pounds of aluminum window/door framing (way, way more than I'll need for my project) for $50 bucks and change. Just go to their office and ask them if you can go "prospecting" through their aluminum pile. Be sure to wear old foot gear 'cause its really dusty out there. Sandals or flipflops are a very bad idea. Take gloves with you. You'll have to dig through pieces that you don't want and there's a lot of sharp edges in there. Also, the August sun makes that metal HOT.

Larry B

Latest posts