Is this a bad buy or good buy? Update: I bought the boat!

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
I'm considering picking up a boat near my house. Here is the ad:

"86 Bass Tracker 75hp Merc. needs work - $1000

17 ft aluminum v-hull. This boat has had little use for its age. Needs TLC. Wood floors are in need of replacement, as well as the seats & carpet. 75hp Mercury engine has low hours, but hasn't been started in 4 years. Matching trailer with spare tire, trolling motor and depth finder included with boat. CASH ONLY"

I could easily drive over and have a look. Here's some pics:

3k13o33le5V65W05P4a8ad297d26504cf19b2.jpg

3m43pb3o75O15U35S6a8acc63d305fdb81582.jpg

3nb3p23ob5T55W05R3a8a5d3f4c8dd1911de7.jpg

3ne3k13md5Y05Q55P1a8ab9c2b3bac64a1814.jpg

This looks like it might be a good candidate for a winter time project. I'm thinking the biggest problems I'm going to be seeing are a lot of dry rot, but the basic hull, trailer frame and hopefully the motor should be sound. What do you guys think? What should I be looking for and what should I avoid?

Dave,
Make sure to run a compression test on it. If that's a Hydrofoil on the back of that motor and not a Trolling plate, it would raise a red flag to me.... A good running 75hp. shouldn't need a Hydrofoil to make an bass tracker perform. Other than that, it looks like a good deal.... heck even without the motor its not too bad.

Ditto, first of all I'd pull the spark plugs out and spray some lube juice in the cylinders, put it in gear and try to turn the motor over by the prop. It it's stuck, walk away. Usually used engines go for $10-15 per HP depending on the condition.

Could be a nice boat for around $2000 if the engine runs.
Jamie

Make Sure They Have ALL The Titles-Paperwork ( Boat, Motor, Trailer) That Your State Requires Before You Put Any Cash In Their Hand. I Do Not Know What Georgia Is Like To Get Replacement Titles. I Have Read On Here Where Some Fellow TinBoaters Have Been Hassled Big Time At Their Local Court House, After Giving Up The Green.

If the motor runs, thats a steal. I would still be very tempted if it didnt run though providing the hull is in good shape. If $1000 is the asking price, my guess is you can get it a little cheaper.

If you can handle the mod's it would be a great deal. I would checkout the motor and paperwork like others have said. I know those boats around here are hard to come by and people want a little more for them. I'd start lower than the asking price.

Good luck.

Doug

After going over and looking, I decided to buy the boat. It's nowhere near perfect, but I saw enough good to decide the fella's asking price is reasonable for a winter time remodeling project. I'll post some "pre-mod" pics and what I've seen since it got home in the conversion and mod section.

Dave I had my eye on that boat for a couple of weeks one CL. It ended up being more of a project than I wanted to take on. Looked like a great buy though. Congrats and keep us updated on the build.

ScottGA said:
Dave I had my eye on that boat for a couple of weeks one CL. It ended up being more of a project than I wanted to take on. Looked like a great buy though. Congrats and keep us updated on the build.

Scott,

I hear ya bud. All the serious pieces appear to be there, but it's going to take a good bit of work to get them going again. I've already posted pics in the upgrade/mod forum. Please check out the link in my second post there, read the comments and let me know what you think. Where ya at, btw?

Howard said:
hope I see it going up 129 towards Lanier come spring time, .... :)

Howard,

Based on the list I have in my head, springtime might be optimistic. But hope springs eternal :LOL2:

DaveInGA said:
ScottGA said:

Scott,

I hear ya bud. All the serious pieces appear to be there, but it's going to take a good bit of work to get them going again. I've already posted pics in the upgrade/mod forum. Please check out the link in my second post there, read the comments and let me know what you think. Where ya at, btw?

I am up in Cornelia. I have about decided on a 83 Sea Nymph Bass Attacker with a 50 Mariner. Paying a little more but its ready for the lake. I will probably rework some things in the winter. Will def be posting pics.

ScottGA said:
I am up in Cornelia. I have about decided on a 83 Sea Nymph Bass Attacker with a 50 Mariner. Paying a little more but its ready for the lake. I will probably rework some things in the winter. Will def be posting pics.

So you're not horribly far away from me. I work up in Toccoa at Steve's Country Hospital. I don't blame you on the boat. This one was just so close to me and the boat/trailer alone was worth what he asked. I will have to do a good bit of remodeling though.

Latest posts