Battery Charger Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ScottGA

Reaction score
What is everyone using for battery chargers? Anyone using on board? If so, how did you integrate it into your build.

I have one battery in my boat so I use a Minnkota MK106 onboard charger. I located my battery upfront under the deck and put the charger right next to it. The only thing anyone sees from the top is the plug in for the charger. I like that it’s out of sight out of mind.

I have a Guest 2611 as well and it has worked great for me. It was in the boat when bought it, so there were a few things that I was unfamiliar with.

One unfamiliarity actually "bit me" this past weekend. Got to the ramp and didn't have enough juice to crank the motor. My main battery was off a charger for about a month while I installed a new trolling motor and new trolling motor battery. Got everything installed, plugged the charger in and the green light came on. Great! Apparently, whenever the "green light" is on (which normally indicates a full charge) but you have known uncharged batteries....well then check your fuses. The fuses/holders for each battery were either broken or massively corroded. This was not a fault of the charger, but it would have been nice to have it flash the LED's a different sequence than some other status.

KRS

Another question; the higher amps the faster the charge. For example the guest 2611 that you gues are using is a 2 bank 10 amp unit (5per bank). Would a charger that was 10 amp per bank charge twice as fast? I.e 6 hours vs 12 hours.

Just thinking if there would ever be an
instance where fishing late one night and fish early the next morning would the extra expense of a faster charge be worth it? Or would a 5 amp charge for 5 or 6 hours provide enough juice for a day on the water?

(and I know the answer depends on TM size, and other electronics etc)

You're right. the higher amp per bank, the faster the charge. It does all depend on how much you use your trolling motor, what size battery you have, and how often you tend to charge it. With mine, if the boat isn't in the water or in transport, it's charging. I've never run out of juice for running a 30lbs motor but i only run it on speeds 1 or 2.

I have the ProMariner Prosport 12 (https://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?i=87113&pdesc=ProMariner_ProSport_Onboard_Battery_Charger&r=view&from=grid)

I have 2 batteries (1 for trolling motor / 1 for accessories). I'm new to boating and this seemed easy and it does most forms of batteries. I love the onboard charger because I don't have to pull my batteries out to charge them. So I was able to put them in a "not so accesable" place out of the way. Now all I have to do is pull out the cord and plug it into the extension chord. Just my $.02.

I have a 4 bank 15amp per battery charger... there are times that i get home from a tournament at 4pm and the batteries are not fully charger buy the time I leave the next morning. i am leaving the house at 3am but they are still not fully charged..

I forgot to mention that in addition to the 5amp on-board charger, I have a inherited "old style" 10amp Schumaker charger that my dad gave me. I will use this when I use the boat on back to back days and have really drained the battery. So maybe in addition to the on-board charger cruise garage sales or ebay for a faster back-up charger.

KRS

Latest posts