14' starcraft help

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yellowjacket

Reaction score
Hi everyone!
just bought a 14' starcraft with a 10 hp honda 4 stroke motor. I thought 10 hp would be plenty but the boat will not plane. I just put on a dol-fin to no avail. I'm going to try moving things around weight wise but other than that maybe the boat is just underpowered?
Any and all help will be greatly appreciated
Lew

Is it a V or flat? If its a flat it should get close to getting it on plan unless its a heavy boat. If its a deep v you ain't got enough motor.

How wide is your boat? I am running a 40 hp on my 14 ft starcraft that has a bottom over 52" wide. I have a 7.5 I use on it sometimes also and with the 7.5 the boat is badly underpowered. That may be enough power for a narrow 14 ft boat but if it is a big wide boat like mine it may just be underpowered.

I believe the boat is a semi-vee, it's rated for up to 40 hp but the guy who redid it cut the transom and put a short shaft 10 hp 4 stroke on it. Plus a 4 stroke is initially heavier than a 2 stroke so I guess I better start looking at motors.
thanks for all your help, good to know it's not something I'm doing.
Lew

Latest posts