Set of tools needed to tear down/prep an old boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
Can folks help me make a list of tools needed to remove old decks, etc. and begin the restoration process?

This is just for the boat and trailer, not the motor. I've looked and haven't seen a good list on the forum. May be I just missed it.

Thanks,

Dave

1 is patience.

2 is just about any tool you have, plus two you don't...

It depends on how the boat was put together. Usually basic hand tools and a sawzall will take care of just about any demo job. Biggest thing is thinking about how it was put together so you can take it apart logically. Look for wiring, layers of components that will tell you in what order to remove stuff.

Jamie

Hey Dave, did you end up getting the Tracker you posted about?

I think the tools you'll need depend on how you intend to restore it. Wood vs aluminum, screws vs rivets etc... If you want a second pair of eyes at some point, let me know.

Brine

Here is what I find that I use the most:

Angle grinder, sander, miter saw, jig saw,drill, pop rivet gun, a good square, measuring tape and your basic hand tools (hammers, chisels, screw drivers, etc.) already in your tool box. Use some safety glasses and decent work gloves. When sanding, grinding, or wire wheeling you really need a dust mask as well cause the paint/aluminum dust can cause you some problems if you take too much of it in.

Additionally a cooler of your choice of refreshments and some good music.

i got by with very very few items. hammer, jigsaw, drill(with wire attachments drill bits, screwdriver and socket attachments), measuring tape, a socket wrench and my brain. that's about all i used

LOL hell I thought I saw some tin patches on Ye Olde Salt made out of Busch cans :twisted:

Brine said:
Hey Dave, did you end up getting the Tracker you posted about?

Brine, I haven't gotten the boat yet, but am working on pulling the money together quickly and getting it if the guy doesn't sell it before I can. I figure by this weekend I'll have the cash.

I think the tools you'll need depend on how you intend to restore it. Wood vs aluminum, screws vs rivets etc... If you want a second pair of eyes at some point, let me know.

I'd certainly be glad either of help, advice or suggestions. Most of my boating experience is many years in the past and that was on ocean going boats or small jons on the Neuse River in N.C. Do you live anywhere reasonably near to Jefferson, GA? If so, I'd be glad of the help/advice when the boat is here. Shoot me a PM with some contact information.

Brine

My list so far:

Boat Teardown Tool List:

1. basic hand tools (hammers (have), chisels (have), screw drivers (have), etc.)
2. sawzall (have)
3. Angle grinder (need, any recommendations? Right now I'm thinking Harbor Freight "gem" of some sort.)

Note: I have a 60 gallon compressor, so can use air tools. I just have to get it wired and I've got an electronic background, so it's a matter of getting the attic over the garage cool enough to work in.

4. Sander (have a Porter Cable and an older Black and Decker)

5. miter saw (have a U.S. made Porter Cable)

6. jig saw (have an older USA made Sears Craftsman my Dad bought when I was 17, but needs the rusty base cleaned up, so I'm considering a new one)

7. drill (have Dewalt 8A electric, B&D battery and air)

8. pop rivet gun (have hand held version, would an air version be better? If so, what size rivet gun? I'm thinking a Harbor Freight "gem" here)

9. a good square (need, any recommendations?)

10. measuring tape (have several)

11. wire attachments for drill (don’t have, any recommendations what type?)

12. drill bits (have HSS and titanium coated)

13. Screwdriver and socket attachments (have, but could use a new screwdriver attachment set, I like the big sets any suggestions?)

14. socket wrench (have complete sets in ¼”, 3/8” and ½”)

15. hole saw set (have a pretty decent Harbor Freight set, it's worked pretty well, blued steel)

BTW, I'm a do it yourselfer from way back and like getting more tools

Thank you for your help on this,

Dave

Dave, I'm in Dekalb County but am in Gwinnett every week. Brother lives in Auburn, and I fished Bear Creek last week. That said, you're close enough.

If you plan on framing/decking with rivets, I'd go for the pneumatic riveter at harbor freight. I think it would be money well spent. I'm on my second hand rivet tool, and won't be suprised if it doesn't last the rest of my build. I'm fairly certain you'd still want the hand tool as the pneumatic version probably won't get all the areas the hand tool will.

As far as the rivet gun, I have had good luck with the Big Daddy riveter they sell at Harbor freight, its a manual one but works great. You can also get a set of rotary wire brushes there that work pretty good as well as a square.

Brine said:
Dave, I'm in Dekalb County but am in Gwinnett every week. Brother lives in Auburn, and I fished Bear Creek last week. That said, you're close enough.

Sounds good, I'll PM you my contact information when I get the boat in hand. Should be within the week.

If you plan on framing/decking with rivets,

I'm not sure yet mods I'm going to do, but any framing I do will be with aluminum and I haven't made a decision on the decking. If I keep the boat original or close to it (most likely close with some mods), I'll likely use aluminum decking if I can find it reasonably priced near me. I think there's a scrapyard here in Jefferson and one in Gainesville 30 minutes away.

I'd go for the pneumatic riveter at harbor freight. I think it would be money well spent. I'm on my second hand rivet tool, and won't be surprised if it doesn't last the rest of my build.

That make the choice for me. Now to figure out which one. I've got links below, but have no idea which of the two to get.

I'm fairly certain you'd still want the hand tool as the pneumatic version probably won't get all the areas the hand tool will.

Luckily, I already have one from my previous boat, a Riverhawk B52. I had to remove the rub rail on it to paint it, so I got another one to reinstall it.

Harbor Freight pneumatic rivet guns:

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/riveters/3-16-inch-air-hydraulic-riveter-93458.html

https://www.harborfreight.com/air-tools/riveters/1-4-quarter-inch-air-hydraulic-riveter-98898.html

Both come reasonably well rated, so the only decision maker is what size I need. Anybody know? BTW, while I have the compressor and am picking up these tools, this is my first time with pneumatic tools, so I'm not at all familiar with their specifications.

Thanks,

Dave

Nevillizer said:
As far as the rivet gun, I have had good luck with the Big Daddy riveter they sell at Harbor freight, its a manual one but works great. You can also get a set of rotary wire brushes there that work pretty good as well as a square.

Nevillizer,

Can you provide a link? I went to the website, but they have lots of riveters there to choose from. Hard to tell the big daddy from the other ones when you're looking at pics and the store is 35 miles away in Lilburn, so I have to plan a trip and make several purchases when I go.

I'd go the cheaper route. 3/16 is what I used on all my framing, and I'll be using 1/8 on the decks. Considering the drive, I'd call HF before you go and make sure they have what you want in stock. I'd then ask about their return policy.

Brine said:
I'd go the cheaper route. 3/16 is what I used on all my framing, and I'll be using 1/8 on the decks. Considering the drive, I'd call HF before you go and make sure they have what you want in stock. I'd then ask about their return policy.

I've bought a bunch of tools from them for odd jobs, tools I'm not likely to use much beyond the job I bought them for. I've had real good luck when I buy what some woodworking forums call HF "gems." These are tools several guys have bought on sale, with an additional 20% coupon to further reduce the price, tried out, had good luck with, then gave feedback online at forums or on the HF website. Used to be, HF didn't have feedback on their website, but now they do. Makes it pretty safe to buy tools there.

Their return policy is excellent. If you buy a tool, take it home and test it. IF it fails in the warranty period, they replace it with another one. To date, I've taken one power tool back for missing parts. They took it back and exchanged it, no questions asked. So I've been pretty satisfied.

I don't buy all or even most of my tools there, but when I buy specialty/odd job tools, I buy there. Saves me a lot of money and makes it possible to do things I normally couldn't afford to do.

DaveInGA said:
Nevillizer said:

Nevillizer,

Can you provide a link? I went to the website, but they have lots of riveters there to choose from. Hard to tell the big daddy from the other ones when you're looking at pics and the store is 35 miles away in Lilburn, so I have to plan a trip and make several purchases when I go.

I am not finding it on their site but its a knock of (like most of their tools are) of one that costs $150. I think I paid like $30 for it here is a picture of what it looks like. I know they still sale them cause I was in there last week and saw one. It might just not be in their online inventory.

Attachments

• rivet gun.jpg
    rivet gun.jpg
    5.4 KB · Views: 285
Brine,

I bought the boat. I'm sending you a PM with contact information. I'm available starting tomorrow all weekend.

Nevillizer,

Thanks for the pic. I think I can find one next time I'm there now.

Latest posts