thinking about a 12 jon to haul on top of truck

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drifter

Reaction score
now i pull a 20 ft camp trailer and a 15 ft jon behind but we want a longer trailer but couldnt pull jon would be over legal length in OK. & TX so thinking of putting a 12 ft jon on top of truck have a leer camper on it could make a rack to haul on top of shell while pulling trailer but (( want the litest 12 jon out there and with the widest bottom so could use 9.9 or 15 hp )) some where on here i saw post of 12x54 cant find it again :) question is anyone know of a 12x48 open jon (just driver seat) and thin metal seems like all the new boats are welded with heavy metal . I have a 8 ft pelican (plastic) but wont start to handle decent size motor.
thanks.

Tall order indeed. My 1967 Alumacraft 14" boat weighs roughly 200 pounds empty. I couldn't imagine hefting on top of a truck (not that I can reach the top of the topper anyway), plus an outboard should be kept upright, and a 18hp 2 stroke weighs roughly 80 pounds. Talking a work out just to get the boat on/off the truck and we havent put it in the water or loaded the gear yet.

I'd think in your case having a buddy will make it less of a chore and more enjoyable, or go with a canoe or two, roughly 80 pounds each.

Or you could put a rack on top of the camper and carry the boat up there?

I've been trying to come up with a solution to the same problem. I dont have the camper yet, however whats the point of camping if you cant get out on the lake and fish? I even looked at the toy haulers, not designed for boat trailers, just quads or bikes.

As for a boat, Lowe makes a 10' Jon boat, however you need to read the specs. If you weigh more than 180 pounds its not a boat for you.

https://www.loweboats.com/showroom/rivited-jon/lowe-jon/l1032.php

Latest posts