Outboard rehab project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zerofivenismo

Reaction score
Just want to share my small project with you guys and gals. Here are before and
after pics of my 1990 25hp Evinrude. Mechanically, motor runs good.
Cosmetically, motor looks like crud. Seem like the previous owner(s) used the
cowling either as a bobsled or a shield in a gun fight. Decals were peeling
off, numerous nicks, scuffs, scratches, and two holes.

I used Krylon primer, Tempo OEM color paint, and Krylon Clear Glaze clear coat.
I decided not to pursue reproduction decals of the OEM decal set due to 2
reasons: Expensive ($44+ship on ebay) and I wanted a cleaner, simpler look
similar to the Etecs. Used leftover paint to touch up the rest of the motor.
There are a few runs of paint and clear, but overall I am happy with the end
result. I am no longer embarrassed of my OB at the lake or on the road.

Disclaimer: I am neither a body man nor a painter. Nor I claim to be good.
Limited bondo/paint experience. All priming, painting, and clear were completed
via rattle cans.

Thanks for looking!

Attachments

• Motor1.jpg
    Motor1.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Motor2.jpg
    Motor2.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Motor4.jpg
    Motor4.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Motor5.jpg
    Motor5.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Motor6.jpg
    Motor6.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 1,098
  • Motor7.jpg
    Motor7.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 1,098
Where did you get the paint? I'm going to redo the motor cover on my 91 30 evinrude and I can't figure out which color to order. I've found that the metallic blue and dark blue which I'm not sure which I have are discontinued.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg

moberg12 said:
Where did you get the paint? I'm going to redo the motor cover on my 91 30 evinrude and I can't figure out which color to order. I've found that the metallic blue and dark blue which I'm not sure which I have are discontinued.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Greg

Greg, I got the paint from US Boatworks in Kansas City. Give them a call @ (913) 342-0011 ‎to find out which paint you need and if they have it in stock. They have plenty of paint in stock. Good luck to you.

You've just given me another job to do this winter. I have a '67 Johnson that the previous owner sprayed matt black straight over the decals. I've been telling myself that I'll do the job when I get the decals. Having seen your work I now realize that I don't need the new decals, and with a bit of careful rubbing down I can use the outline of the old decals. Good job =D>

looks great.i started looking through the pics and the after pics realy jump out at you after you look at the before.great job.

Looks great. How many coats of paint/clear did you put on it?

Brine said:
Looks great. How many coats of paint/clear did you put on it?

Brine,

I put on 2 coats of primer, 3 coats of paint, and 3 coats of clear. I wet sanded 800 grit after primer, 1000 grit after paint, and 1000 grit between clear coat. I wet sanded to save on sandpaper, otherwise I would have went thru a ton of sandpaper. The Krylon Clear Glaze is nice. Gives a deep glassy gloss finish. I've used the regular Krylon Clear Coat and I do like the Clear Glaze more. Clear Glaze requires more cautious use. It goes on thick, so you have to keep can moving and maintain proper distance from the object. Cannot use in temps above 90 degrees and cannot use in heavy humidity or else you'll get a cloudy finish instead of a clear finish. I learned the hard way, hence the 3 coats of clear :LOL2:. It was 95 degrees with 80% humidity everyday, so I put on the last 2 coats of clear in the basement.

Latest posts