My first jon

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bassman018

Reaction score
I would like to build a jon, but am not sure if i should just get a little ten footer and get some seats and carpet for it or if i should get a 12 or 14 foot and possibly a trailer and make a full on conversion, i am going to be driving in a few months ad will have a full size truck, so i could transport a 10 or 12 in the truck bed but if i get a bigger boat then i would want a trailer. I an a super noob and bet some of these questions have been answered but i cant find it. Thanks in advance for the help and hope that you can help when I start work on my boat!

Welcome! My thought is that if you get a 10 or 12 foter you will end up wanting something bigger before too long. I would suggest you go no smaller than 14 ft, which appears to be the most popoular size Jon on this site. Also trailering is way easier than carrying a boat around in the back of your truck, especially iof you are fishing alone. So my suggestions is a 14 footer and trailer. keep an eye on Craigslist and you may find yourself a good deal, especially in the fall.

Cheers,
BC

x2 on a bigger jon boat with a trailer. You're going to be very limited in modding a 10fter due to size and weight capacity. Get a wide bottom 14' or 16' and you'll be good to go.

ok a bigger jon it is, so my thoughts are should I get a nicer one to start of with or should I just buy a more beat up one and steal flex it? also I was thinking that I really would n't want to spent the money on an outboard and also there are a buch of electric only lakes so would I be fine with a 50 pound thrust TM?

Bassman018 said:
ok a bigger jon it is, so my thoughts are should I get a nicer one to start of with or should I just buy a more beat up one and steal flex it? also I was thinking that I really would n't want to spent the money on an outboard and also there are a buch of electric only lakes so would I be fine with a 50 pound thrust TM?

That depends on your budget. if you can afford a newere one, in better condition, you will save yourself a lot of work and you can focus on the mods you want to do instead of just getting the thing sea-worthy.

On the motor issue, I have to tell you that, when I first got my tin, I thought I would be happy with just my 55 lb thrust trolling motor. However, it didn't take longe before I wanted a gas outboard.

Welcome aboard, I am with the general consensus that a 14 ft would be best. Try and find a 1436 (14 ' 36" wide at floor) or wider. You can usually pick on up reasonably priced about now as summer is winding down. I would definitely get a boat/trailer/motor combo if you can. I wouldn't be scared of one that has a few dents, dings, or scuffed paint but be wary of too good to be true deals.

Once you get it fish a quite a few time before you modify it so you will have a better idea of what you need. Good luck and keep us posted.

I got a pretty good deal on my Polar Kraft. I bought it new from a dealer in Jan. 2010. It is a 2007 left over model. It had a couple scuffs in the paint. It was the size I wanted,a 1468 with a flat bottom. Boat dealers seem to be hurting. Good luck.

Yep, start at a 1436 and buy something that does not require much work getting it "water ready" Spend your time and money on the mod and getting it to fit your needs and fishing style.

I saw one mod where the guy took out the benches and and had one nice deck that was low, and a bow casting deck. is this a good Idea or no? and I will definetly get a 14 or 16 footer.

Bassman018 said:
I saw one mod where the guy took out the benches and and had one nice deck that was low, and a bow casting deck. is this a good Idea or no? and I will definetly get a 14 or 16 footer.

It all depends on the type of fishing you plan to do. I have a 1232 Jon that I just completed the main mods on with no elevated casting decks. But the difference is only about eight inches, I plan on putting in pedastal seats because I do bass fish from it.

Attachments

• DSCN0277.JPG
    DSCN0277.JPG
    839.5 KB · Views: 692
  • DSCN0261.JPG
    DSCN0261.JPG
    820.1 KB · Views: 692
Ok I have some plans as to how I want to convert it, one of my freinds has a 12 foot v hull row boat I go out in so I kinda see what I want, Can you tell me what you think?

Attachments

• tracker topper 1436 Conversion Plans.JPG
    tracker topper 1436 Conversion Plans.JPG
    45.9 KB · Views: 646
Bassman018 said:
Ok I have some plans as to how I want to convert it, one of my freinds has a 12 foot v hull row boat I go out in so I kinda see what I want, Can you tell me what you think?

Looks like a plan to me! Right choice going with the 14 footer and wider width. Wish I would have got one about that size,but I'm happy with my first boat. Next one will be though. Looking forward to seeing the conversion work done! Keep us all updated :)

Latest posts