Flipping the boat - Earl

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sean

Reaction score
How strong a wind do you think it would take to flip a 16ft skiff straped to a trailer? Figure the boat is about 300lb, but I have a Mahogny casting deck that is atleast a additional 100lbs out board about 50lb and full tank of gas all together about 500lb + trailer.... Right now they are predicting winds to 60+mph and I think I should be all set [-o<

Let me know what you guys think or any procations you have used in the past.

Thanks!

Sean

tie cinder blocks to the bottom of the trailer with tight rope! Adds lots of weight and lowers the center of gravity considerably!
Jeff

Believe it or not, they say to prepare for a hurricane to chock the tires, deflate them, then fill the boat about 1/2 way with water..... Not saying I would be looking forward to doing that, but if it was this or lose the thing :?

Having lived through a hurricane and seen what it can do, here's my suggestion:

Hook the boat trailer to your car, load your family up along with anything you can't afford to lose and leave the area until the hurricane is over.

Seriously,

Dave

Building of your ideas I was thinking of leveling off the boat and leaving the drain plug in.. We are suppose to get a decent amount of rain with this storm and the boat will fill fast.. I will put jack stands near the tires to take some of the preasure off of them and the suspension... This will add plenty of weight as we should get the rain before the winds max out...
Do you think the added preasure from the water in the boat will effect the hull? I wouldn't let fill completely, maybe just above the floor..

Dave, thats great advise but as of the latest forcast we should be on the out skirts of the hurricane and currently are under a tropical storm watch.. My family on the other hand lives on Nantucket Island, and they are in the direct path...

Sean,

I was on the outskirts of a cat 4 hurricane in NC back in 96, if memory serves. 100 miles from the coast in Raleigh, NC, after heavy rains for two weeks, the wind was ripping up and tossing 4 foot thick oak trees like they were twigs. Unless you've experienced it, you just can't fathom how powerful a hurricane is, even on the outskirts.

If you have family in the path of the hurricane, forget the boat and go get them. You can buy a new boat. You can't replace your family.

DaveInGA said:
Having lived through a hurricane and seen what it can do, here's my suggestion:

Hook the boat trailer to your car, load your family up along with anything you can't afford to lose and leave the area until the hurricane is over.

Seriously,

Dave

Haha I was expecting some sort of trailering maneuver to avoid a roll over... I guess that works too :wink:

If your going to get a hurricane,do what daveinga says.
60 mph,while pretty strong...attached to your vechile and in the lee should be fine.
Expecting the same type weather here,thats what I'm going to do maybe tie the stern down also.

Zum said:
60 mph,while pretty strong...attached to your vechile and in the lee should be fine.
Expecting the same type weather here,thats what I'm going to do maybe tie the stern down also.

I was just looking at a map of Earl's expected trajectory and it looks you you guys in Nova Scotia are right in the middle of the bulls-eye.

BaitCaster said:
Zum said:

I was just looking at a map of Earl's expected trajectory and it looks you you guys in Nova Scotia are right in the middle of the bulls-eye.
Normally the water alittle cooler so it dies out to a tropical storm.Will see this year,as long as it's no bigger then a cat1.
The gulf steam is alittle to the eastered,I'm hopeing it goes thata way,I want to go fishing Sunday:)

nathanielrthomas said:
Hook the boat up, load the fam, tape your ears back and haul a$$,

That is my plan for the next one. I went through hurricane Hugo here in 1989. It was not as fun as they make it out to be. If you really want to keep the boat take it with you as you leave. A boat full of water is no match for 140MPH winds.

Looks like we are going to dodge this one head and have tropical storm conditions and gust to 50 for a bout a hour or so tomorrow late evening.. My parents live on Nantucket island and they are still expected to get hit hard with gust to 100mph... I'm goin to hook the boat up to the truck, strap her down, and hope for the best..
Good luck Zum, hopefully she dies out some before it reaches you...
Sean

Here is what a big wind did to my 16 ft MirrorCraft a few years ago:

file.php

And the story:

https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1624&hilit=+flip

:shock: Wow... I have two straps on my boat now, one wraped around the transom and one from the front cleat to the trailer leg... Might be adding the big 10k strap I have for peace of mind after reading your post... :?

I flipped mine for a hurricane, but it was just a a jon boat then.

I've been thru 3 hurricanes, they aren't a lot of fun. For the next guy....

Park it next to the house/strong wall to help break the wind. You can put some water in it, but the hurricane will take care of that for you if you put your plug in.

Hang on tight!

Latest posts