Welding Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtwarrow

Reaction score
Guys, I'm looking at buying a welder. I had read that MIG will work for Aluminum, however I have read some posts on here stating it is not best. Any advise on what to buy? I have zero experience welding but I am fairly mechanical. I plan to read a lot and practice a lot before trying anything on a boat project. Thanks for any help!

Depends really on what you are doing with it. For most things, TIG is going to be a heck of a lot more versatile. But, it certainly ain't cheap, and you aren't going to be able to start welding on your boat after a couple months of practice.

If you will primarily be working with thicker aluminum (over .125), MIG with a spoolgun (or a push/pull gun, but they aren't cheap, and probably well above your needs) is the way to go, as it is less costly to operate, and quicker. Below about .125, I use TIG for almost everything. A handful of thinner things can be MIG welded, but it isn't easy, and appearance usually suffers. The travel speed needed to MIG thinner metals is incredibly high, making it tough to maintain a halfway uniform bead.

Ranchero does a lot with his MIG that I wouldn't even dream of doing with anything aside from TIG. Just boils down to making do with what you have. I'm sure I do a lot of machining by hand that he wouldn't dream of doing without his mill.

If you are going with a MIG, I wouldn't get anything less than a Millermatic 211 with a spoolmate 3035 or similar. Ideally though, a good midrange MIG machine is something like the 252, with Spoolmatic 30A. Much better for aluminum. If you really wanted to get something really nice, the 350P, with the pulse options and all really expand the MIG capabilities, but that is really reserved more for full time fab shops, that will be using the machine on a daily basis.

However, if I had to choose one over the other, it would be TIG, hands down. An AC/DC TIG machine gives me the ability to weld any weldable metal (not that I have a use for welding titanium and all, but my machine will do it), and really excels with the thinner metal, like on most jon boats, yet still allows me to do a handful of thicker things, if the part isn't too big.
The downside of TIG, and this really comes to play with any process, is that it takes a good bit of practice and learning to become halfway decent, and it requires regular use to stay in practice.

Ditto that.

Any welding costs money, Mig is expensive to get into, TiG is more expensive, Aluminum is prohibitively expensive either way.

DC MiG Aluminum can be done for around $2000, AC TiG around $2800 for thinner stuff, $4000 for a water cooled setup.

Used stuff is out there, but it's usually 3 phase or worn out junk.

You won't be welding aluminum with a $350 wirefeeder from Lowes...

TiG is the cats meow. We used to weld copper pipes together at the dairy I worked in along with 3" stainless dairy pipe with a DC Tig. I did the exhaust on my Ranchero outof 3" dairy pipe it'll never ever rust out.

Jamie

There are some old tig machines out there that are good.That's when they where made out of copper innards.I only paid $400 for mine with remote pedal.It used to be in an airplane factory in Western Mich.It was sitting in a corner at a body shop.I had to buy a new torch & a few misc parts.They don't die just like the old outboards.Mine is a Miller Gold Star.

Thanks for all the advise. I was going to get a cheapo MIG welder to play around with and see how things go, but maybe I should hold off untill I have the funds for a better one or even TIG.
Would I be able to weld rome wire cage trap frames (frame would be fairly thick metal rods) with a cheapo MIG welder? What about sheet metal for truck fenders? If not I'll just wait till I can afford the good stuff. Thanks again.

you can weld with a car battery and jumper cables. It wont be pretty, however it will be functional.

there is more to welding than just the machine, there is the type of metal, metal comes in various grades as do most anything. Your best option is to take a class at your local community college. You'll gain experience, and an understanding of all the variables. Then you can make an educated decision based on your needs.

If your just going to do some general weld projects, hard to beat a MIG welder that can go up to 1/4" thickness, HOBART or MILLER are both decent at this level. If your welding outside, get a stick welder, a MIG wont do you much good in the wind.

dtwarrow said:
Thanks for all the advise. I was going to get a cheapo MIG welder to play around with and see how things go, but maybe I should hold off untill I have the funds for a better one or even TIG.
Would I be able to weld rome wire cage trap frames (frame would be fairly thick metal rods) with a cheapo MIG welder? What about sheet metal for truck fenders? If not I'll just wait till I can afford the good stuff. Thanks again.

Autobody and trap frames and the likes would probably be fine to use a 115v. MIG for. However, that 115v MIG isn't going to do much of anything on aluminum, and will be underpowered for most anything larger.

Thanks guys! great info. Taking a class is an awesome idea as well.

So THATS why when my cellinoid sticks it melts stuff that touches the battery post!

dtwarrow said:
Thanks guys! great info. Taking a class is an awesome idea as well.

So THATS why when my cellinoid sticks it melts stuff that touches the battery post!

Yes, ever make the mistake of disconnecting a starter on a car engine without disconnecting the battery first? I have some pretty weld marks in my Craftsmen wrench where it made contact with the frame. Thankfully I was were my glasses, which also have weld marks in the glass, yep the spark melted the glass in my glasses. People take car batteries for granted and dont realize how much power they actually store.

Tig welding with a car battery
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVqBRPVw08Y

You can get the small-medium duty welders in 220v as well. Add an outlet in the garage and go at it. Again, up to 1/4" will handle 95% of all home/farm welding needs. If it was structural, or a life dependent weld, hire a pro. The cost of a pro is far less than someone life.