Is my new potential outboard to heavy for the boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DocCaliz

Reaction score
Ive got a 14ft Seaking semi v. Im considering a 20hp Tahatsu/Nissan electric start that weights 120 lbs with a tiller. I weight 300lbs, the motor is 120lbs, then factor in the 3 gal gas tank and a starter battery. here are some picture of the rear with the transom out.

Im not much of a carpenter so i do not plan on doing to much to the boat. Ill be replacing the wood for the benches adding some seat mount and two seats and a very small deck up front just large enough to hold a trolling motor and provide a little storage for the TM battery. at the rear i plan onputting in a peice of 2x10 for the transom to replace the 2x8 that is in currently.

IMG_0468.jpg

another of the three supports in the back of the boat.
c44e9d1a.jpg

I read this https://www.tinboats.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12144
and i did the math and the boat should be able to handle a 30 hp outboard. I'm just so new to the boating thing I need some feedback from folks with more experience before I commit to such a big purchase so i don;t end up with a rig that could be dangerous.

Thanks

That's why i ask.

If the average personal weighs in at 150lbs x the boat is for 4 people. So that means a 600lbs capacity approximately give or take 50 lbs. I think it will be OK. here is my math maybe you guys can check me on it.

Me 300
motor 120
st battery 35
tm battery 50
fuel (3gal+tank) 19
TM 10
gear/cooler/
first aid/tools/anchor/
sundries 50

If evenly distributed front to back its probably manageable. Since the Motor has a generator that charges the battery I may be able to skip the starter battery and just use a deep cycle for the TM and as a starter. It has a pull cord for emergencies that could save me 35-40 lbs of weight.

DocCaliz said:
If evenly distributed front to back its probably manageable.

Ditto, I think youll br fine bro.. Besides, your not gonna find an outboard that could shave off much more than 40 lbs off the total weight and still be able to push the boat efficiently, unless you stepped down to a 8hp two stroke or below.. Id go for it.

Latest posts