hey guys im new to tinboats and im about to start a project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

louisianalargemouth

Reaction score
im 16 and have been stuck to shore fishing for the past 5 years and finally decided to get a boat. im thinking about getting a 2010 tracker 1436 riveted jon boat. i have about $900 dollars to spend and am looking to add a couple things to the boat. the boat itself will cost me around 700 or so and i want to add a front deck, some storage inside of the deck, a livewell, 2 raised seats, a trolling motor in the front, and carpet the whole boat. i realise i dont have near enough money yet but id like to get a TM and put in a front deck first. do any of you have suggestions? thank you

heres a picture of the boat im planning on getting, and i will also be needing a trailer

Attachments

• Topper-1436-Riveted-Jon_img5466_700.jpg
    Topper-1436-Riveted-Jon_img5466_700.jpg
    46.8 KB · Views: 514
You are really going to need a trailer once you put in those accessories. It is no longer practical to just throw in the back of a truck and go. I view a 1436 as too big to do that with anyway, without any mods.

My suggestion is to buy something used. New and pretty doesn't catch fish anymore fish than old and well used, but it does have a higher cost. Get something old and ugly, put a bunch of sweat equity into it, and come out well ahead of buying something new.

If it was I, then I would look around for a good used sem-v boat not a flat bottom, and the trailer, lots better riding. You can buy a good combo for a lot less than the money you will pay for a new boat by itself and may even get a trolling motor to go with it. Look on Craigslist for a good buy. Go to a 42" bottom or a 48" bottom, more stable than the 36" bottom. Try to find an all welded not rivited boat f possible, lot less worries. If you get a Minn-Kota motor fixed for the transom, you can undo the screw in the head and turn it around and use it for the bow with a troll motor mount If you get a Motor Guide you have to take the entire head off and its a lot of problems, jus' saying.

Like those guys said...I look daily on Craig's list and if you are patient you can find some really good deals. Sometimes people just want things gone and are willing to part with boats for a lot less then they're worth. There are lots of good used boats out there. It seems from your post that you plan to tow it. If you already have a vehicle with a hitch you're set to go. Otherwise that will eat some of your budget. I've noticed here in MN that with duck season approaching there are a lot more jon boats for sale than during the spring and summer. Sellers will probably ask more at this time of year but don't pay it. The farther the fall season goes on the more desperate the people will be to get rid of their boats so they don't have to store them another winter. Be patient and wait it out and you'll find something to your liking and in your budget. By the way, congrats on having $900 to spend. When I was your age, having that much money would have been inconceivable to me.

yep..... craigslist and your local paper can be your best solution to getting into a boat for cheap.

oh yeah.... ](*,)

:WELCOME: .... aboard, you'll like it here.

If you live in south west La. then try this link to boats, I have bought several boats and other items off this link. It covers all east Texas and parts of La.
https://www.southeasttexas.com/classifieds

Latest posts