New here-sure like what I've been seeing

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dadfsr

Reaction score
Hey all! I posted a question on huntingindiana.proboards.com about stripping and repainting an old jonboat that I decided to try to rejuvenate. One of the guys on there gave me a link to here so I've been trying to look at everything to see what I can learn from others input/mistakes :D
- I've already found out that I really need to use etching primer before I try to paint it since I've pretty well stripped off the remains of three different coats of paint. Just stopped by our Auto Body Supply shop and picked some up-haven't used my paint sprayer in a couple of years but sounds like I'm gonna break it again.
-I'm trying to get this 14' boat at least looking presentable to take to Beaufort,SC in less than 4 weeks so probably all I'll do for now is get the exterior painted.
-I haven't seen a lot on using a nonskid coating on the deck so far. Anyone have any thoughts on that? What to use? How to get something other than black???
-I know this is an old boat...the license title says 1970 but I don't know what/who the manufacturer is...how do I find out the manufacturer? There is an ID# FL7935CC on the boat-can I track down the maker from that? I've been down through all the pics of the jonboat projects and the closest one I've seen so far is a Gamefisher but mine has three transoms with the middle one being the live well-I just haven't seen like that yet.
-I'm thinking about just putting some treated plywood on the transom tops for now(except the livewell). Any suggestions on how to attach? Saw where someone had used toggle bolts??
-I picked up a mid-70's 9.5 Johnson this spring also (which I hope runs-the guy promised it did :wink: ) Is that enough hp for this boat??
A little history on the boat-I bought it and the trailer it was on about 20 years ago from a guy that lived about 10 miles away. One of the wheels came off the trailer on the way home so I ended up just taking my 1 ton flatbed over and loading both boat and trailer in truck. Needless to say I didn't bother to try to fix the trailer since the axle was pretty well messed up and I could still haul the boat on the 1 ton (all I ever did was some local river fishing with it). Then my son bought a place that had a small pond on it so the boat got moved there for the last 10 years, however last year my son and his family moved to NH (22 hour drive from here) so the boat came back to my place.
I decided that I wanted to be able to haul the boat on a trailer again so I found an old one this spring that I could use but it needed some welding/reinforcing and a title applied for so I just got all that done a couple of weeks ago.
Then I started on this boat. After looking at all of the projects on here I really wish now that I had taken some pics of this thing "in the raw" because I haven't seen on on here yet that looked as rough as what I am starting with :roll: For now I'll be happy to just make it all one color.
It originally had plywood decking on the floor and two "clamp on" swivel seats attached on the front and back transoms. It has a livewell with hole through the hull in the middle transom. "Grass" outdoor carpeting had been glued on the plywood, livewell transom and the small bow deck. I stripped everything out down to the metal hull and am starting over again.
I've been working on stripping it with some Zinnser "green" paint stripper for the last week. Pretty well got the outside done and almost have the interior done too. There were a couple of breaks/cracks in the deck that just had clear caulking over them that I have taken off-I got some of the aluminum epoxy repair sticks from Cabelas that I'm planning on using on those.
The bow has been cracked in the center that the previous owner had used some iron 1"X1" angle bolted on the try to fix- that will come off and hopefully I'll be able to use some 2"X2" aluminum angle on top with an aluminum backer bar under to fix and reinforce it.

I'm pretty bad at figuring out anything on the computer so me trying to post pics on here is probably not an option but I can email pics if someone wants to see what I'm up against.

Thanks in advance for any comments or suggestions!!

Don't use treated wood in that boat as it will cause corrosion and pitting fairly quickly. The treated ply of the old days worked because it was not the same stuff. Just buy some construction grade ply and put a few good coats of spar urathane on it. Your transom is the far back of the boat that the motor attaches to.

By the way...... :WELCOME: aboard!!! your going to like it here.

perchin said:
Don't use treated wood in that boat as it will cause corrosion and pitting fairly quickly. The treated ply of the old days worked because it was not the same stuff. Just buy some construction grade ply and put a few good coats of spar urathane on it. Your transom is the far back of the boat that the motor attaches to.

By the way...... :WELCOME: aboard!!! your going to like it here.

So that's where the transom is :oops:

Thanks for the tip on the treated wood too.

Latest posts