Textured Spray

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nevillizer

Reaction score
So this weekend I bought some Gray spray paint that has a heavy textured granite appearance to it. Thought it would be good to cover the inside of the boat on the metal surface (walls, floor console, etc.) See pictures below.

Now, for those of you who are gonna say "It might not hold up under the traffic of walking on it." this will be in areas that I wont be walking on. There will be decking for that.

You ask why? Well, previous owner had coated it with some type of non slick surface (looks like sand sprinkled in wet paint). Its real ruff and a bugger to get off. I figure that if I put a heavy coat of this on top of it to cover up the old and give it a uniform appearance.

One of the pictures is of a small table I tested it on, appears to be pretty rugged. I also have a sample of the gray carpet I intend on using, it matches pretty well I think.

Give me your thoughts please.

Attachments

• IMG_0114.JPG
    IMG_0114.JPG
    183.2 KB · Views: 732
  • IMG_0115.JPG
    IMG_0115.JPG
    117.4 KB · Views: 732
  • Ruff crap.jpg
    Ruff crap.jpg
    422.7 KB · Views: 732
I like it and was thinking of a similar solution to the funky interior of my runabout project. In my case there is some kind of black stuff that looks a little like undercoating but not so thick. I had wondered about trying to remove it but if it's stuck and I can paint over it with something that seems like a good answer. Thanks for doing the experiments...

I was looking at walmart in the automotive section and they have a roll on bedliner kit thought about useing it inside of a 12 ft jon bought last week.

I got this stuff cheap. I looked at this at Lowes and Home Depot to compare. It's about $10 a can. I got for $1 a can. There is a salvage place here in town, the guy buys truckloads of damaged products. A few months back he bought a huge load of assorted paints. That is where I bought the OD green for my boat. I went there this weekend to buy another case and he had all this textured stuff. I asked him where he got it and said it was in the same load as the green, he just didn't have the room to put it out on display until recently. All the assorted paint he has is $6 a case (six cans). Heckuva deal. Probably gonna pick up another case or two just for good measure.

Yeah, our local Big Lots had cases of textured paint and I did the interior on mine and it's holding up decent.

Jamie

I like it. Price was right and that plays into my budget. This guy always has interesting stuff, anything from craftsman tool to lowes valspar paint to levi jeans. You never know what hes gonna have.

Nevillizer said:
I like it. Price was right and that plays into my budget. This guy always has interesting stuff, anything from craftsman tool to lowes valspar paint to levi jeans. You never know what hes gonna have.

I love those kinds of places. If you're patient, you can find lots of good deals. Big Lots used to be like that, but over time, they're getting more and more cheap junk and less damaged goods.

I've had a few people ask about the coating I used here is the info and some pictures: It is call Plasti-kote. It is made by Valspar and sold at lowes. What lowes currently stocks is package a little differantly but as you can see in the pictures it is a genuine valspar product.

Attachments

• IMG_0118.JPG
    IMG_0118.JPG
    67.3 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_0119.JPG
    IMG_0119.JPG
    117.1 KB · Views: 617
  • IMG_0122.JPG
    IMG_0122.JPG
    43.3 KB · Views: 617
That's the stuff we used to use for 'gravel' on the old HO scale railroads. It also used to be splatter paint for the insides of you '70's hotrod's truck...

Jamie

Yeah, after a little research they suggest you also use the clear sealer along with it to extend the life. I think for what I am doing with it will work out great.