Smart Tabs or Hydrofoil

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutman3000

Reaction score
My boat wants to porpoise a little when I am buy myself and some what when I have a passenger. I have heard that a hydrofoil will put torque on the transom that it wasnt engineered for. Would smart tabs be a better solution?

Thanks,

J

I'm not an expert but I thought the hydrofoil just helped you get on plane faster. I had one on an 18hp that was on my first tin (14') and it still porpoised a little at full throttle.

Well in theory if it lifts the motor up then it should lower the bow of the boat. My motor rides pretty low in the water due to the engine battery and gas tank being in the rear. I think its worth 50 bucks to try it out.

I agree better to try it for the price rather than shell out the $$ for trim tabs.

Is there any way you can tilt the motor down a little before you buy something or modify your boat? When my buddy got his boat, we spent several hours getting the motor adjusted just right.

KRS

KRS62 said:
Is there any way you can tilt the motor down a little before you buy something or modify your boat? When my buddy got his boat, we spent several hours getting the motor adjusted just right.

KRS

Its on the next to last pin and I just believe my boat is stern heavy, it has gas, batteries, and a 40hp on the rear.

I had some of the nauticus plastic smart tabs. They did some good with getting on plane better. The real problem was my prop was too big. The plastic bracket on the boat broke (maybe I hit something). They sent me two new ones b/c of warranty. A while later I noticed the boat was pulling to one side. One of the cylinders had locked up. All of the parts were not stainless and there was some rust at the cylinder ends. I would not recommend these, especially if you ever run in saltwater. On the other hand, I put a set of Bennett hydraulic tabs on my dad's offshore boat. They are still working perfectly after 5+ years. It is a trailered boat that probably gets taken out about 5-6 times a year.

Put the attwood foil on and wow what a difference. No bouncing and I actually got a couple extra mph out of it. It felt a lot more stable in the water but i did notice a small decrease in fuel efficiency.

Latest posts