Any mechanical engineers in the house? Flooring calculation

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
I'm looking at replacing an original 3/4" plywood floor in my boat with .125" aluminum sheet. The original supports were spaced out at 12" for the plywood. What I'm wondering is if I will need to add additional supports to support the aluminum or are the original supports adequate? The supports in there now run port to starboard and the total area to be covered is 52" wide and 59" long.

Thank you,

Dave

No engineer here but .125 is pretty thick.
Most aluminum boats are .100 if there lucky alot are thinner.
I'd say 12" is fine,could always put acouple 2x2's on the shed floor so you can try it out but like said before,thats some pretty thick aluminum(.125).
Probably go even lighter gauge at them distances....

DaveInGA said:
I'm looking at replacing an original 3/4" plywood floor in my boat with .125" aluminum sheet. The original supports were spaced out at 12" for the plywood. What I'm wondering is if I will need to add additional supports to support the aluminum or are the original supports adequate? The supports in there now run port to starboard and the total area to be covered is 52" wide and 59" long.

Thank you,

Dave

You'll need something going front to back. Think of a tic-tac-toe grid. You could use aluminum or just fill in the spaces with strips of foam. .125" seems thick, but putting 150-200lbs in a 6"x6" square, it will give some between the supports.

Matt