Front deck on a duck boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dtwarrow

Reaction score
Okay lets see if I can explain this in words.
I want to add a “deck” to the front of my boat, however not a deck that will be used for fish or standing on for any long time periods. This is a duck boat and the only reason I want the deck is to make my blind shorter and for decoy storage. I was planning on ¾ inch ply and framing it underneath with 2x2’s leaving the ply sitting on the rails and the 2x2’s just inside the rails, and sitting it on the top of the boat and screw it directly into the rail through the ply. Would it be better to screw the 2x2’s to the rail (from the inside) as well?
Hope that makes sense. I guess my question is : will this be strong enough to support a 80 lb dog or a person just walking over it to get out of the boat. No one would be sitting or standing on it when the boat is running, only when the boat is shoved back in the weeds and mud. The boat is not wide enough for a deck up front for serious use. If I want to fish it, I’d remove the deck, but this is strictly a duck boat for now…

Depending on how wide the front is, I'd say yes. Screwing through the plywood into the 2x2 is going to give you the most strength and you could (should) glue it as well. The 3/4 plywood should hold an 80# dog by itself but better to use the braces. Once glued and screwed, finish with whatever is the proper sealant. Seems like carpet over the top would give the dog some purchase with its claws so it isn't slipping around.

This is how I did the front deck on my 1436 jon I use for duck hunting.

Attachments

• IMG_5426.JPG
    IMG_5426.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 475
  • IMG_5432.JPG
    IMG_5432.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 475
  • IMG_5433.JPG
    IMG_5433.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 475
Lckstk- That's an interesting idea. I kinda wanted it open underneath, but I guess it would work if I had a latch somehow.
Bobberboy thanks for the comments. It will be camo, no carpet, but maybe some rubber matts.