what conversion/mod would you all do with this boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
This is my boat, 1976 Sea nymph with a 9.8 hp mercury. I plan to use it on the small mill ponds of Delaware and the coastal rivers and bay. I will fish for bass in the ponds and any fish that make runs in the tidal rivers and bays. I also will use it to access the public duck blinds in Delaware. Any responces would be appreciated.

What is the thinest aluminum sheeting I should go with if I support it 16" on center? or do I need to support it 12" on center?

I know I need to flush my gas motor after useing it on salt water can I do the same with the trolling motor?

Attachments

• Boat pics 001.jpg
    Boat pics 001.jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 797
  • Boat pics 003.jpg
    Boat pics 003.jpg
    112.9 KB · Views: 797
  • Boat pics 015.jpg
    Boat pics 015.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 797
  • Boat pics 022.jpg
    Boat pics 022.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 797
  • Boat pics 023.jpg
    Boat pics 023.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 797
I guess it depends on your priorities. What's most important to you, lightweight, comfortable, fishable? What and how are you fishing?

What I would consider is a 1.5" x.125" angle 'T' structure on top of each existing rib and deck it with .080" for low decks between the bench seats. If you're clever you could screw it all together as a unit and remove it to clean the hull or fix leaks down the road. Figure some angle riveted into the bench seats could be your attaching point for the deck structure.

I'd also frame in the front at seat height and do a simple deck with some storage underneight.

Keep it simple and always plan for taking it back apart to fix something.
Jamie

Thanks for the reply. It depends of the season which one is most important. I am thinking makeing it all removable so I can change as the seasons change. Your jet build looks pretty cool by the way. Keep them coming.

I like a flat bottom with an open floor plan. But thats my personal preference. I always hated fishing out of a row boat, too noisy, I felt clumsy climbing over the benchs to drop the front anchor or enter exit the boat via the bow, plus the angled floor meant everything slide ot the middle of the floor creating a bigger trip hazzard, or tackle boxes that dumped over. So a flat floor is important too me.

My vote is for new paint, maybe hot pink with yellow polka dots...jk :D I'd say go catch some fish in it and worry about the modding when it's cold. But when it's time, go with leveling out the floor. Makes moving around way easier. Do what works for you and take pictures for the rest of us to learn from. Take care

1. Clean up, strip old paint off, repaint in area appropriate colors
2. Bottom deck, level with supports underneath
3. Remove middle bench seat, keep side support to tie back into, look at other v-haul mods with same brand of boat on tinboats
4. Add a small deck forward for trolling motor
5. Consider casting deck, but may be a bit tight for the size boat you have
6. Add some storage, for such stuff as rod racks, livewell location, vest and tackle box.
7. Consider aft hatch/cover for gas tank and batteries
8. Lights, radio, etc. wiring, switches and fuses
9. Since you're fishing in both fresh and salt, I would coat decks with something nonskid I could wash, no carpet. Use a color that's both cool for sun and not too reflective that it'll blind your eyes. Something in a khaki/tan perhaps

Thanks for all the replys. Project on hold for now. My dog popped her hip out of socket so lots of money for that and hunting season is finally here.