Deep V Question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

summers

Reaction score
Simple question about deep v's I have been searching on the web, this site and other sites before i posted this question. I am going to build a floor and a deck for the boat, is it best to have the boat level (via a sting line from bow to stern) while on the trailer for all modification for to the floor or is there a better way. I am confused, I do not want to a floor that sloped once i get it out in the water.

I'm no expert, but here's my thinking:
The boat has been designed and manufactured to float level.
The bench seats are placed so that they will be level when the boat is floating. Same thing
for a factory deck.
With the boat steady and stable on the trailer, put your level on the bench seat or deck.
Use the trailer jack to raise or lower the bow until your level shows level.
That's level and you start your measurements from there.

If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me, 'cause that's the plan I'm going with for my build.

lbursell said:
The bench seats are placed so that they will be level when the boat is floating. Same thing
for a factory deck.
With the boat steady and stable on the trailer, put your level on the bench seat or deck.

If I'm wrong, somebody please correct me, 'cause that's the plan I'm going with for my build.
I think you hit the nail on the head on this one. I read the original post earlier today and was trying to think how to explain it. I too have a v-bottom I was thinking about putting a floor in. My best solution, knowing that all the seats were level and the same height, was to measure down from the top of the seat and make a mark. So, if you measured down 12” from each seat top, the floor would be level between the seats.

Ok, so my explanation didn’t make sense….but I do agree with lbursell.

lbursell said:
for a factory deck.

This is the way I did it.

Thanks for the help guys my problem was that none of the benches are level in the boat the previous owner did a number on them. I took a little bit of effort but the boat is now level on the trailer and I am going to start my build up.

Teh gunwals will level out towards the back of the boat, or in teh middle of the boat. I leveled my boat based ont eh gunwals and my good old highly calibrated left eye. Not the right one, its been off bubble a tad since teh accident.

Yes I had a Red Rider BB Gun as a kid, and yes I almost shot my eye out. :mrgreen:
Just kidding about the eye thing, both of mine are highly calibrated. :mrgreen:

Being a V-hull, just make sure not to deck her too high. V-hulls have a bad habbit of being tipsy if you move the center of gravity above the bench seats. Take her out with out motor or gear and jump around the gunnals to see how stable she is. Read the forum "When to deck and not to Deck"