What size angle for a deck?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tsuswimming

Reaction score
Ok, im getting ready to start building my deck and i found this add on craigslist selling a bunch of aluminum. Heres what his selling along with prices.
1"x 1"x 96" 1/8" thk. Angle - $5/pc 15 available
3/4" x 3'4" x 96" 1/4" thk. Angle $4/pc 16 available
1/2" x 1/2" x 96" 1/20" thk. Angle $3/pc. 15 available
1.5" x 1.5" x 96" 1/8" thk. Angle $12/pc. 3 available
3/4" x 3/4" x 48" 1/16" thk. Angle $2.50/pc. 8 available
3/4" x 3/4" x 96" 1/20" thk. Angle $4/pc. 10 available
1" x 1" x 96" 1/20" thk $4/pc. 5 available

1" x 96" 1/4" thk. Flat stock $4/pc. 4 available.

What should i use for a deck frame and is this a reasonable price i will need enough to deck a 1654 so how much would i need.

The prices are reasonable. Last Wednesday, I paid 21.70 per stick for a few sticks of 1 x 1 angle, 1/8 thick, 25' sticks, so you are saving a little bit, but not too much.

For deck structure, I generally prefer tube, however, I do use some angle. Generally, I use 1 inch for most things requiring angle. The 1.5 angle might also be promising, but I can't say anything on the price. I haven't bought any of that recently enough to still have an invoice from it, but it does sound a bit high.

The .75 angle, .25 thick might be useful since it is available at a decent price, but I wouldn't choose it otherwise.

You're going to have to draw up a layout and a structure design to figure up what you need. On the 1652 in my sig, unless I lost an invoice from the folder, it would appear that I used (3) 21' sticks of 1 x 1 square, and (1) 25' stick of 1 x 1 angle.
However, on a 1648 I'm currently working on, we are looking at closer to 5 and 3 respectively, due to design variances.

@bassboy1

Would this work if i cutt it up and used the poles as tubing and is it a good price?
https://washingtondc.craigslist.org/doc/for/1963011101.html

Looks like tube. I was checking around here for salvage/junk yards but none seem to sell to the public its all just junk cars and stuff.

Not sure I would use the fencing. Its probably not very thick aluminum. I'm with bassboy I prefer tubing. I got lucky and found mine at a scrapyard for a steal. I think you would be fine with the 1" x 1/8." I would probably use the 1.5".

Can't say for sure on the fencing, without knowing the material size. I have used aluminum fencing before (see the Yazoo build in my sig), but it was what the site listed in the CL ad deems "commercial," with the 1" tubes, 1/16 wall. I doubt the 3/4 by .050 or such would be very useful.

Generally, when buying new aluminum tube, I use 1/8 inch wall for most everything, both because it is more readily available, and because the cost difference is minimal. But, as evident by the Yazoo build, the 1/16 will work just fine, if that is what is available.

Latest posts