195? Grumman Boat Wood seats

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imbrave1

Reaction score
I was wondering if someone on this site knows their wood grain? I have a newly acquired 195? Grumman 13' boat. I recently posted some pics and since then I took a hose and tire brush to the seats to clean them up a bit. There is no doubt the seats are original. I threw a quick brushing of teak oil on them and they are really starting to look good. Can anyone identify the wood? Is it Mahogany or Teak? Any guesses? Before and after pics below. By the way, those seat supports are aluminum boxes with Styrofoam blocks inside for flotation.

Attachments

• IMG_0341-1.JPG
    IMG_0341-1.JPG
    109.5 KB · Views: 449
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    54 KB · Views: 449
Here are 2 close-ups. I'm leaning toward teak because the seats are about 55 years old and teak is the kind of wood that lasts that long without any maintenance. But then again, it could be mahogany because of the wider streaks of grain. I'm just not sure but I thank you for your time and interest...

Attachments

• IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    57.1 KB · Views: 434
  • IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    67.5 KB · Views: 434
My guess is TEAK ! I don't think mahogony would hold up that well at all. You can sand teak a little and use the teak cleaner (brush on) and apply teak oil.....and it will look like new !!! Nice looking boat, wanna sell it ??

PC

NEGrumman said:
Thats awesome i now know what my seats are made from.

Not too fast man, I just read an old ad for these rowboats being made by Pearson Boats for a short time. They advertised "pickled mahogany for durability". All I can say is that teak wears like iron and these seats clean up very nicely. I'm still leaning toward teak.

Latest posts