winter storage option

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

justnortherns

Reaction score
Where I live (due to an unfortunate local ordinance), I cannot keep my 14' jon outside, so during most warm weather months the boat occupies an oversized one car garage and the truck stays outside.

However, for winter storage, I've wondered about trying to store the boat on its side (port or starboard side up) against a garage wall. I've got the space for it (if the boat and trailer are on their sides) to have the boat, trailer and truck in the garage in theory, but I wondered if anyone has tried this idea and made it work.

Some specifications:

* boat is 250 lbs
* trailer is 180 lbs
* trailer and boat would obviously have to be separated before laying on side
* a support system (maybe using S hooks) may be needed to keep boat from falling over
* boat would be supported directly by wall
* trailer would be supported on its side by only the tires, or perhaps leaned against another wall
* foam padding would be placed on the garage floor to protect the boat

Anyone see problems with this design? Could the boat or trailer be structurally damaged at all while lying on its side for a few months? Thanks for the insight.

I'd move or buy a portable shed...

That being said, is you garage interior finished? If not I'd consider building a pair of 2x4 arms nailed to the baseplate with stops at the ends. Set the hull with the keel against the wall and the stops would keep the gunnel from kicking out. Then a simple strap from the higher gunnel to the wall would keep the kids from pulling the boat over on themselves.

You could also frame up three arms up high to hang the trailer off of. Hang the trailer, then slide the boat in below it. Same deal, triangle supports well built, holding the frame against the wall.

Good luck.
Jamie

Also if your garage isn't finished or even if it is,you could probably(maybe?) hang it from the ceiling.
Alittle heavy to get up there but doable with a friend.

Pretty crazy not being able to keep a boat in your backyard,out of site...

I had the same issue in a development so I moved...
some people have nothing better to do than *****..
some of these home owners groups..wont even allow clothes lines outdoors..

Ranchero50 said:
I'd move or buy a portable shed...

That being said, is you garage interior finished? If not I'd consider building a pair of 2x4 arms nailed to the baseplate with stops at the ends. Set the hull with the keel against the wall and the stops would keep the gunnel from kicking out. Then a simple strap from the higher gunnel to the wall would keep the kids from pulling the boat over on themselves.

You could also frame up three arms up high to hang the trailer off of. Hang the trailer, then slide the boat in below it. Same deal, triangle supports well built, holding the frame against the wall.

Thanks, indeed the garage is only partially finished, I could try this setup. I'll probably start with just the boat and use at least a couple of straps to hold the boat against the wall. If that goes okay I'll try the trailer after that!

Yes, moving is the first option, and that will happen in due time. My condo association having a rule against boats on the property is what I meant by 'local ordinance' (without getting into specifics). I didn't want this restriction to keep me from owning a boat (and it hasn't)!

Also, I have other options (renting storage space, friend's property a long distance away) but the idea intrigued me of storing it in the garage this way. One advantage I can think of is not having to winterize either the boat or trailer.

Zum said:
Also if your garage isn't finished or even if it is,you could probably(maybe?) hang it from the ceiling.
Interesting idea, but unfortunately the ceiling clearance between the truck and garage door opener installation is really small.

Zum said:
Pretty crazy not being able to keep a boat in your backyard,out of site...
Crazy indeed. If I were so inclined I'd come up with an idea to camouflage it in the backyard.......

Not sure if you have any self storage places near you but the ones by me have outdoor parking areas for boats, campers, etc. They charge 20-25 dollars per month (1st month is a dollar) and it will be only for a few months. They have 24hr survailance and they are gated. Just an option if you can't get it in the garage.

Latest posts