new to forum with a project

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Troutman

Reaction score
Hello, joined the forum a few days ago. I've enjoyed looking at all the great modifications to the alum boats on here. I've bought and sold a few boats over the years but have been fishing out of a canoe for the last several. I bought a 1967 Starcraft 14ft v-hull and a trailer from a friend last week for a couple hundered dollars and want to fix it up a little. I don't have a motor at this time for it, so I bought a 50lb thrust minn kota transom mount to use for now.
I'm a fly fisherman, and primarily float and wade local tailwater rivers for smallies. I want to set this up as a flycasting friendly boat, meaning open floorplan, nothing to snag the line on, and stable as I float downstream. I will usually be standing when casting and operating a drag chain off the bow.
This is the boat when I brought it home.
IMG00016-20100922-0747.jpg

IMG00015-20100922-0747.jpg

so far, I've been working on the trailer. new gal. wheels and tires, painted the frame, new bunks and carpet and its ready for lights this weekend.
My plan for the boat is to remove the middle back bench to open up the floor, paint the interior, and paint and possibly steelflex the bottom. New wood on the front and rear bench, transom and a flat floor.

I've never seen that style of benches before. I like the symmetry. You've got some great potential there. Keep us posted.

Welcome Abord. Where you posten from? What waters are you fly-fishing for smallies in? Go to the "Decking, when to and when not to" post to see how high or low to place your flooring.

Thanks for the welcome. I live in East Tn outside of the Smoky Mtns. There are several large lakes within an hours drive and lots of rivers, both freestones, coming out of the mtns and tailwater races from below the dams. some of the rivers are for trout up high and become more warm water species in lower elevations or as temps increase several miles below the dams. We have some great smallie fishing in both types of rivers. I don't spend as much time on the lakes anymore due to all the traffic from jet skies and high speed bass boats running everywhere. There are a couple of lakes I'll fish certain times of the year when the fish are shallow and fly accessable.
I will probably need to keep the center of gravity low in the boat, since I'll be floating moving water primarily. Might put a deck across the front two seats and run it into the bow, just as a step in/out platform and a cargo area underneath for storage. Would be ok to stand on it if fishing on a lake. I don't have the fabrication skills that many of the members on here have, but I'm looking forward to fixing this little boat up.

nice looking project.glad to see some one close to me on here i am in tn also not far from you.i live in bristol mostly fish south holston but some times boone lake.this is a great site you will find lots of info here.

Latest posts