Sound proofing ???

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beamer1

Reaction score
Has anyone heard that lining the interior of your(mine) jon boat elimates 87% + noise level w/ truck bed liner coating... I'm NOT a salesman; but would apreciate some feed back.I'm new to this site & seeing great mods from members here.I'm down in the salty swamp & known if it ain't stainless or alumiumn it WILL rust. Yesterday produced a 28" black & 24" red drum, no flatties yet......

I'll raise the BS flag on that one. Drop a wrench in a normal truck bed vs. a coated bed and yeah it's a bit quieter but not half as quiet much less 87%.

Noise is a real bear to get rid of. You have impact and harmonic sounds generated in the hull. Impact being dropped pliers, harmonic being the 'ring' after they hit.

The best answer seems to be isolating the noise maker form the hull. Carpet or foam makes those dropped pliers not sound so horrible. I'm looking at foam with carpet on top for mine (thinking about it if I can figure a way to glue them together that will work). Still, dropping a rod against the gunnel is too loud with just that.

Products like lizard skin don't work very well for harmonic noise, but are awesome for heat isolation (did a home brew on my '70 F250). Dynamat works great for harmonic sounds (vibrations) but it's flipp'n heavy and the pliers are still going to be loud when dropped. I think the bed liner would work for harmonic if applied to large areas of the hull skin where it isn't supported otherwise. Look at the isolation sprayed in car bodies now.

Jamie

Ranchero, I've put a padding under carpet in a customer's boat. See the G3 1652 in my sig. I wasn't real crazy about having to put it underneath, having never done it before, but the fella who modded his previous boat had apparently installed it, and it held up well. All I did was glue the padding down (available on the roll at Lowe's, something like 27" or 30" wide), let it dry, then glue the carpet down to the padding, as if it was a solid surface, with the same Henry 663 carpet adhesive. I was a little nervous about the padding holding up, so I left about 4 inches around the edge to stick the carpet directly to the aluminum, in order to contain the padding in place, were it to de-laminate, but apparently, it seems to be holding up well, and did so on the customer's previous boat.

I have Line-X in my boat and I can tell you that is is not as quiet as carpet. You do have to be careful about dropping things. I would say it is quieter then just aluminum with no covering.

Bassboy, I was looking at the jigsaw puzzle snap together foam for mine. I wasn't sure how the residential stuff would hold up. I know the shop matting is pretty durable. That's good to know it worked out for him, did you have to do anything to the hatch hinges to allow for the extra carpet thickness?

Jamie

Maybe just them rubber mats.
People stand on them in industrial places,cement floors,cattle mat thingys.
Come in different thicknesses and can be removed for a good cleaning ,if things get messy.

i got two 4' x 6' rubber mats from lowes for $60 and put them in my tracker 1542. cutting them to size was a snap & they're made of recycled rubber too!

Latest posts