Kiwigrip or other coating vs. carpet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
For those who have used Kiwigrip or another floor coating you paint on instead of carpet, what's been your experience?

Has the boat been noisy and need sound deadening?

Has the coating held up?

How pleased have you been for durability vs. cost?

If you had to do it again, would you go carpet or coating?

Thanks,

Dave

I likes carpet in fiberglass boats but in me tin boat i going to stay away from carpet.I likes the idea of no carpet in me tin boat so when she gets dirty I just hose her down with water.Carpeting is best not done like that.I looking at Skid no more and the coating you stated above in gray.All i has in me tin boat rite now is alimimum flooring and she works out good like that so far but i uses her in cold weather when water will freeze and the alimimum may become frozen slippery with out non slip coatings of some sort.Slip no more has ground up rubber in there so i swaying twords that stuff but still undesided. :mrgreen:

I didn't use carpet in my boat because of the effort to clean it. I fish and hunt in an area that is often muddy (and clay) and it is just too hard to get blood, mud and grime out of carpets. Not to mention that even if it is clean you get dirt particles flying into your eyes when running WOT across the lake.

I tested KiwiGrip and a silica adder for paint I went with the KiwiGrip as it seemed to grab better but still feels good on bare feet. I also think it would be easier to re-apply down the road when I need to. I used two part foam under my sole so sound isn't a big deal, plus my sole and decks are wood core fiberglass composite so sound wasn't one of my main considerations. I like the KiwiGrip, it cleans quickly, looks good and goes on easy.

! have never tried Skid No More, but I hear good things about it.

I sent off for a sample and am set on using durabak on mine. I also got a sample of the hydroturf, but after recieving the sample am afriad it would catch on hooks