New member -- New Boat (and motor)...ideas?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolHand

Reaction score
Hi All. First post. I've been here for a while reviewing all the boat mods and information.

I have inherited a boat and aquired a motor for it. I thought I would post and get some suggestions on what to do with it.

Unfortunately the boat is a little too lightweight, I think, to do too much to. It's a 1975 Lowe 14LittleV. The specs are still on the transom so I know that it's only meant to max out at 10HP and 500Lb capacity. I don't think it would be safe to add the weight of flooring and it's not terribly wide so stability could be an issue. The beam is 48. I didn't measure at the transom but I would guess 36ish. Knowing all that my initial plan is to replace the rotted transom, put steelflex on the hull to seal the rivets and seams and possibly use roll-on bedliner or rubber mats inside on the floor to make it less slippery and deaden noise. I have some clamp on type seats and will probably add some lights so I can fish later into the eve. The motor I got locally. It's a 1966 Johnson 9.5. I started it the first day and it seemed to run pretty good. I figure a tune up is in order. New impeller to be safe, plugs, carb cleaning and check the lower unit. Then I'll need a trailer but that's a later deal.

Am I on target or does anyone have better suggestions for me?

Attached a few pictures. I hope I did it right.

Attachments

• 734.jpg
    734.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 485
  • 747.jpg
    747.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 485
  • 348.jpg
    348.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 485
I think all your ideas are on track. I would get out on the water a few times to see what other, if any changes you need or want to make.

Welcome, I also would take it out for a test ride a few times. Do the mod's you are suggesting and fish a few times. You will then know what to do are not to. Good looking tin!

In addition to the good ideas you've posted, you might want to consider adding a level floor and perhaps removing the middle bench to give yourself more room.

But like the other gentlemen have said, take it out and use it, making notes on what you want to change first.

That's a really cool design. I'd look into getting a trailer, either a Harbor Freight or homebuilt for it first. That way you aren;t aggrevating with loading it, unloading, and putting all the crap in and out of it each time you use it. More time on the water vs. getting there too.

Low deck, keep it simple, use aluminum vs. wood to keep it light and enjoy it.

What are you going to use it for and what style fishing?
Jamie

Thanks for the replies. Jamie, I mostly fish up north in the summer. Primarily for Bass and Northern on the smaller lakes in IL and WI. Since I live in GA I'll probably spend some time on some of the lakes here but I've seen that the smaller boats don't fare to well on Allatoona etc. That won't stop me but it's one more reason to make sure I keep it stable and safe. I like the plan to use aluminum for a low floor and thought of that as well. The only issue there being my budget. I may go for that but it will be a while before I can afford the material. Like you said the first thing is to get it on a trailer and get it functional for fishing. I don't plan to use it before spring so that gives me time to spread out my spending on it.

Well, the best thing is that now that you have it you can start scrounging for scrap to put into it. Stop by some metal shops and recycling centers with your metal deminsions and phone number on a peice of card stock. Call the local highway departments and even highway construction companies for storm damaged or old construction road signs. You'll get a bunch of "No's" but then it only takes one "Yes".

I'm three years into my build and still finding new and interesting stuff to add to it.

Jamie