Plywood solution in Atlanta, GA?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
I pulled the transom cap off my Track V 17 and found the original transom was 1 1/4" thick. I was obviously made from a 3/4" and 1/2" plywood sandwich.

I know the local Home Depot and Lowe's carry outdoor plywood, but the thickness is actually in millimeters and not inches, so they no longer offer a true 3/4" or 1/2".

I'm wondering if anyone knows where in the Atlanta area I can get a true 3/4" and 1/2", even if it's Marine plywood.

Other alternative suggestions using the odd stuff from the big boxes welcome.

Thank you,

Dave

I wouldn't worry about the MM sizes. Gets what's close as long as you don't make it any thicker than 1 1/4" or your transom cap won't fit correctly.

Hello Dave....

I'm not sure if there are any Woodcraft stores in your area, but they can order you any size or type ply you want.... I use these guys a lot for good quality materials for cabinetry and furniture.

Here is a link to their Mother site..... on this site you can enter your zip code to find a store near you. They will also ship to your house.

https://www.woodcraft.com/

I think this is your nearest store...

Woodcraft of Atlanta
8560 Holcomb Bridge Rd., Suite 115
Alpharetta, GA 30022
(770) 587-3372

Depending on how much plywood you need ask if they have any damaged sheets or half sheets. I needed 2 layers of 1/2 inch plywood for my transom. I bought one sheet of damaged plywood for less then half the cost.

Dave,

I buy 23/32" plywood from Home Depot all the time here in Gwinnett. Are you sure your local stores don't carry any?

tripleup05 said:
Dave,

I buy 23/32" plywood from Home Depot all the time here in Gwinnett. Are you sure your local stores don't carry any?

Yes, they do, I'm just being a picky ole fart and wanting the exact sizes. I can use the metric stuff and it'll just be 1/32" thinner than the original. But that 1/32" will drive the OCD part of myself crazy.

I'll probably just end up using the metric and getting a boat guy to fiberglass it up to the proper thickness.

DaveInGA said:
tripleup05 said:
Dave,

Yes, they do, I'm just being a picky ole fart and wanting the exact sizes. I can use the metric stuff and it'll just be 1/32" thinner than the original. But that 1/32" will drive the OCD part of myself crazy.

I'll probably just end up using the metric and getting a boat guy to fiberglass it up to the proper thickness.

I'm going to have to tell my dad I finally found somebody pickier than him :LOL22:

BTW- I'm new to this game and looking for a boat of my own to start a project. Give me a holler if you see anything worthwhile for sale near ya!

Stick a 1/16" layer of aluminum in between the two pieces.

Just about all readily available plywood is going to be 1/32" smaller, just as finished lumber is, as that last little bit of thickness is removed in sanding/finishing.

Not to be mean...but the 23/32" is not metric. Just had to point it out as I work at a Lowe's :D

On a side note, the really expensive stuff still comes in 3/4 and 1/2" it. It's an AC sanded grade called Arauco. 3/4 will run you about $30 bucks a sheet and the 1/2 is around $24. It's sanded on both sides and looks great.

baseball_guy_99 said:
Not to be mean...but the 23/32" is not metric. Just had to point it out as I work at a Lowe's :D

On a side note, the really expensive stuff still comes in 3/4 and 1/2" it. It's an AC sanded grade called Arauco. 3/4 will run you about $30 bucks a sheet and the 1/2 is around $24. It's sanded on both sides and looks great.

Not to be mean, but actually it is metric. It's made on metric machinery (mostly in Canada and other foreign countries on the metric system) and just happens the metric size measures 23/32". You might want to check out your facts online or just take a measurement of the plywood with a metric measuring tool.

And this Arauco has exterior grade glue? I suspect not, as it would likely be used for cabinetry if it's sanded both sides. Without exterior grade glue, it wouldn't work for a boating application.

bassboy1 said:
Stick a 1/16" layer of aluminum in between the two pieces.

Just about all readily available plywood is going to be 1/32" smaller, just as finished lumber is, as that last little bit of thickness is removed in sanding/finishing.

When I was your age, 3/4" plywood actually measured 3/4" and 1/2" actually measured 1/2". This changed when most of the U.S. companies in the big boxes started importing the less expensive plywood from Canada, where they are on the metric system and use metric machinery. Today it's hard to find plywood manufactured in the US and when you do, it's more expensive. Plywood, unlike boards, is a manufactured product and the thickness can be very precisely regulated, as it's a laminated product.

In my father's time a 2 X 4 board actually measured 2 inches by 4 inches. This "sanding" stuff is just a marketing gimmick to allow the manufacturer to get more boards out of each tree.

Know your history fellas, keeps you from being buffaloed by those wanting your money or vote.

DIXIEPLY is on Pleasant Hill Rd, and BlueLinx is near Briscoe Airport. Both should be able to point you in the right direction.

I'm in Canada and it's funny we still build stuff using"2x4's"and inches and feet.
I realize there not true 2x4's,except if you go to the mill in person where you will get a true 2x4 etc.
There putting a stop to that to because the lumber doesn't have a "stamp" on it saying it's good?
Can't use it to build much,inspectors won't pass it...a true 2x4 isn't as strong as the stuff they sell at big suppliers,gotta have the stamp..what a bunch of bull malarky.
Anyways I'm rambling,the world is getting so much better with all these "new" rules./

32cd or 16th out...I can see why your work turns out so nice.
Hope you find what your looking for,maybe a heavy layer of epoxy will build it up enough for you,plus the waterproofing value..

Brine said:
DIXIEPLY is on Pleasant Hill Rd, and BlueLinx is near Briscoe Airport. Both should be able to point you in the right direction.

Unfortunely, it looks like I'm out of luck, I tried both those guys yesterday. Apparently exterior grade and marine is no longer made in true 3/4 and 1/2 inch. I'm thinking I'll either laminate a 1/16" onto the ply using either the aluminum bassboy suggested or if I'm lucky, I can find 1/16 plastic laminate at HD or Lowe's. Either would solve the problem.

Zum said:
I'm in Canada and it's funny we still build stuff using"2x4's"and inches and feet.
I realize there not true 2x4's,except if you go to the mill in person where you will get a true 2x4 etc.
There putting a stop to that to because the lumber doesn't have a "stamp" on it saying it's good?
Can't use it to build much,inspectors won't pass it...a true 2x4 isn't as strong as the stuff they sell at big suppliers,gotta have the stamp..what a bunch of bull malarky.
Anyways I'm rambling,the world is getting so much better with all these "new" rules./

32cd or 16th out...I can see why your work turns out so nice.
Hope you find what your looking for,maybe a heavy layer of epoxy will build it up enough for you,plus the waterproofing value..

I agree totally about the new rules. The only thing that gets better with those is the outfits who get the stamp make money and those that can't get it (for political reasons/lack of contact) go out of business. Gotta love those government rackets.

The reason for wanting the exact measurement is the ply was encased on all sides with aluminum on this boat, so if I want my transom to fit correctly without some major alterations of the transom aluminum, I need 1.25 inches.

I figure either epoxy, perhaps with fiberglass mat added or adding a 1/16" laminate should resolve the problem. Thanks for the posts guys. Helps me think through things.

perchin said:
Hello Dave....

I'm not sure if there are any Woodcraft stores in your area, but they can order you any size or type ply you want.... I use these guys a lot for good quality materials for cabinetry and furniture.

Here is a link to their Mother site..... on this site you can enter your zip code to find a store near you. They will also ship to your house.

https://www.woodcraft.com/

I think this is your nearest store...

Woodcraft of Atlanta
8560 Holcomb Bridge Rd., Suite 115
Alpharetta, GA 30022
(770) 587-3372

Perchin,

Thanks for the link. They were going to be my next solution if I decided to laminate with wood. You saved me having to look them up and they are the nearest store.

No problem dave..... It might be a lot cheaper to just do the laminate trick with some 1/16 countertop laminate from lowe's. They usually always have cut-offs for clearance sales.

Tight Lines....

perchin said:
No problem dave..... It might be a lot cheaper to just do the laminate trick with some 1/16 countertop laminate from lowe's. They usually always have cut-offs for clearance sales.

Tight Lines....

Perchin, I'm betting you're right on the money with this one. I'm going to be researching that tomorrow.

Latest posts