1977 14' Mirrocraft

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENIRB

Reaction score
Well, I have been a lurker until now.
I acquired a 1977 14' Mirrocraft yesterday, after a nightmare of a time getting it home after the wheel bearing locked up 45min from home. I hadn't even made it 1/2 mile after hooking it up.

This was my only idea... it worked, we just drove slow. It was a little top heavy, and a pain in the arse to get on top of the Jon Boat trailer. The above picture is the boat and broken trailer loaded on-top-of my Jon Boat trailer.

This is the 3.5hp Sears I got with the deal too, I plan on using it for the Jon Boat. I need a gasket for the fuel line connection though, does anyone have an idea if this can be bought at a hardware store? Any help would be appreciated. Oh, it runs.

You can see the rusted side panels covering the foam. The foam is deteriorated and falling apart, the inside was coated with particles.
I am wondering if there will be an adverse effect if I remove the foam and side panels to simply have the bench and nothing else. It would give me a little more storage room, and it wouldn't look all rusty! Any thoughts? Additionally, to remove all of that I just remove the 4 bolts holding the bench in place and slide it out of the side supports correct? Also, the two boxes in the rear are just filled w foam, do those provide structural support, or can they be removed (Left side has the USCG Plate on it)?

The transom is solid. The oars were rotted to hell, so thats on the list of things needed as well.

Here you can see I need to Lower the rollers, and cut the boards so that the boat is actually supported by something other than the rollers. Unless someone has a better idea?

The boat measures:
14' Long
Just over 5' wide (this called beam?)
Bow is 2 1/2 Deep
Transom is 1 1/2 Deep

I am very pleased with the boat and look forward to getting into the water the Jon becomes unstable in, and that I'm just too lazy to paddle to in the kayak.
I don't intend to do any extreme modifications just:
1. Remove side panels and foam from under benches.
2. Replace trailer bearings.
3. Adjust trailer bunks/rollers.
4. Replace bow winch/strap.
5. Wire new night lights.
6. Replace Oars.

Eventually I would like to install simple seats, a fishfinder, and possibly a small radio so I can listen to some tunes on the water.
I also need to keep my eyes out for a outboard on the cheap.

Will my 40lb thrust TM push this at all? What about the 3.5hp?
I'm obviously not trying to set a speed record, would just like to use the boat in the meantime.
3 ppl would be on board, not more than 400lbs combined, w/ minimal gear.

Let me know what you's think!

Here's the Jon

Attachments

• GetAttachment-12.jpg
    GetAttachment-12.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 1,377
No one has any input?

I removed the bench from the hull and found a few holes in the foam. I cut the foam off and found a few cavities within the foam that contained a few bee's nests. The wood inside was rotted, so I have to pickup replacement wood for it. In the meantime I like the clean look.

Question about the benches though, should I just reinstall the same dimension boards? (there were three boards running the length of the bench, one on each side, and one in the middle) OR would I be better off inserting plywood in the metal bench skin?
Trying to find the most sturdy to have minimal flexing.

Or would a simple wood bench (forget the metal skin) be the best option?

First - Welcome to Tinboats. That looks like a great project boat. It won't take a lot of tear-down before you can start your re-build. Congratulations on your innovative double-trailer-stacking technique for getting home. That was creative thinking in a crisis.

Second - You'll find lots and lots of help here. Give a day or two to let plenty of folks get a chance to look at your posts. There might be some celebrating going on for the 4,000th membership. In fact, you may be number 4,000.

Third -Remember that any foam inside the boat is there for safety considerations. Any foam taken out should be replaced with at least an equal amount back in. If the worst should ever happen, and your boat fills with water or you capsize, most people would rather have something to cling to at the top of the water column than a sunk vessel that leaves you with zero options. They don't call it a "sinking feeling" for nothing.

lbursell said:
First - Welcome to Tinboats. That looks like a great project boat. It won't take a lot of tear-down before you can start your re-build. Congratulations on your innovative double-trailer-stacking technique for getting home. That was creative thinking in a crisis.

Second - You'll find lots and lots of help here. Give a day or two to let plenty of folks get a chance to look at your posts. There might be some celebrating going on for the 4,000th membership. In fact, you may be number 4,000.

Third -Remember that any foam inside the boat is there for safety considerations. Any foam taken out should be replaced with at least an equal amount back in. If the worst should ever happen, and your boat fills with water or you capsize, most people would rather have something to cling to at the top of the water column than a sunk vessel that leaves you with zero options. They don't call it a "sinking feeling" for nothing.

Thanks for the warm welcome.
I re-installed the bench temporarily with 3/4 plywood scrap I had in garage. After scouring the forum and the web, I'm going to just grab a piece of lumber from Lowes, any insight on what species is best? and will provide the most rigidity (not flex) over a 5' span?
I understand not to use PT.
Remember this is going to be inserted into an aluminum sleeve.

As for flotation, I guess I should consider leaving the remaining foam (under both benches, and the two pieces in the rear). I just like the clean look of having nothing but the benches in there, and not having all that rust.

I own a 16 MirroCraft similar in design. You will need more then just the top board - you need to make kind or a box or the board will just tear out where is screws into the sleeve as soon as it gets wet - I know!

I can send you a photo of the bench that I removed if you want to get an idea

Yeah sure if you don't mind. I put a piece of plywood in there for the moment, and it flexes a little, but it isn't correct thickness. I don't see why a solid hardwood (possibly teak) wouldn't provide enough support. I have 3 bolts on each side of the bench securing it.

Maybe your picture will explain it better.

Latest posts