bench seat removal?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

diabetik11

Reaction score
i have a 12 ft deeper v hull mirrocraft with 3 bench seats all of them have foam underneath them. i want to remove the middle seat so i have more room and put a more open floor plan in the boat. would removing the middle seat effect the structural support of the boat at all and does the foam under the seats have anything to do with the flotation of the boat while it is right side up or only if it capsizes. what i am asking basically is do i need to do any thing special to the boat if i remove the middle seat?
any tips will be greatly appreciated

You can search 'middle seat' for some forum members experiences.

I'm not a big fan of it on hulls were the middle seat is used instead of ribs, on high powered or high stressed hulls, or even on some of the older stuff that's not very strong to begin with.

Floatation is important for when the boat fills with water so the boat will float upright so you will have something to stay inside of vs. clinging to the outside.

In all honesty removing the seat or reducing the floatation should depend on your use of the boat, what water (wave or wake action), what power, when you'll be fishing (dark or stormy, cold or rainy?) and how you'll be fishing.

They are both insurance that you will make it off the water alive.

Jamie

First.... :WELCOME: aboard :!:

If your going to be removing the bench seat, in most cases you will need to reinforce the sides with braces. This is not the case with all boats though..... Maybe post a few pictures of the boat so we can see what your working with. I know that Mirrocraft usually makes some pretty stout boats though.

I removed my front bench from 14' Deep V to replace wood beneath aluminum skin.
When removed the hull was able to "breath" an inch or two, I would try to utilize the bench mounts and tie it into your plans to add structural support.
Just my .02

thanks perchin for the help with the pic. so what do you think of the plan. i was thinking of putting a piece of wood where the middle seats mounting hardware would be and connect it to the vertical 2x 4 some how. then put a piece of wood from the vertical 2x4 to the floor to tie it all together.

diabetik11 said:
thanks perchin for the help with the pic. so what do you think of the plan. i was thinking of putting a piece of wood where the middle seats mounting hardware would be and connect it to the vertical 2x 4 some how. then put a piece of wood from the vertical 2x4 to the floor to tie it all together.

no problem..... looks like a you got a good plan. I agree that you need to run supports from the new floor to the sides in the middle where the bench seat is to be removed.

Perhaps it would be easier to put a mid height shelf like this one along the sides to help support them and give you something to put your tackle on?

(This was mine when I first got it)
06-29-08_1534.jpg

09-16-08_1857.jpg

Jamie

Latest posts