A bilge water question

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which pump would you buy, Rule or Johnson

• Johnson Pump Mayfair Marine

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Attwood Tsunami

Votes: 3 42.9%
  • Attwood Sahara

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Automatic pump

Votes: 2 28.6%
  • Separate pump and control switch

• Small Pump (1000gph or less)

• Big Pump (1500gph or larger)

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • Rule

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveInGA

Reaction score
Turns out it's about time for me to start thinking about clearing water out of the bilge. This is for my Bass Tracker V-17. The boat will not be stored in my garage when I'm not fishing in it, but I will be fishing on larger lakes with large wakes and other potential emergency conditions where a bilge pump might really be needed.

Please pick a brand, pick if you'd go with an automatic pump or one with a separate switch and pick size (large vs. small).

Thank you,

Dave

Dave, with your permission, Can I jump on your bandwagon, too ? I'm also in the market for both a bilge and live-well pump and would like to ask folks to also post the reason(s) behind their choices (reliability, ease of installation, brand loyalty, replaceable cartridge motor versus permanent mounted motor, horror stories, etc.).

With thanks, ahead of time.

Captain Ahab said:
Man - for someone with a bad infection you post a lot of polls :LOL2:

What can I say. I'm in pain and wide awake, can't go to sleep in spite of the pain drug the doc give me. Can you say miserable? Might as well make the best of it doing something productive.

lbursell said:
Dave, with your permission, Can I jump on your bandwagon, too ? I'm also in the market for both a bilge and live-well pump and would like to ask folks to also post the reason(s) behind their choices (reliability, ease of installation, brand loyalty, replaceable cartridge motor versus permanent mounted motor, horror stories, etc.).

With thanks, ahead of time.

Sure dude, go ahead and jump on, I'm easy.

I went with the Attwood Tsunami, because its easy to install and you can buy replacement motors for it, and change em' without unmounting the unit. I then went with a seperate switch and pump, because I don't store it on the water and don't need an automatic... its not hard to tell if I need to turn it on in a 14' tin.. :lol: I then went with 1000gph or less, because I only have a 14' boat, and also I use a 800gph thru hull for my live well and it fills in less than 2 minutes. 8)

Like this.... just go get a 3 position switch at autozone for $5 and your set.

Attachments

• bilge pump.jpg
    bilge pump.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 457
Pretty simple, 12v to both switches, then tie the wires together after the switches before the bilge pump and ground the other bilge pump wire. If you get a lit switch you need to take it apart because they like to ground the output when the switch is off and that will short out the circuit. If you use an seperate indicator light it'll light when either switch turns on the pump.

I got the Attwood 500GPH from Walmart simply because they are open all the time and there are WalMarts everywhere so if it dies and I'm away from home I can get a replacement quickly.

I'd go with two smaller ones before one large one as well.
Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
Pretty simple, 12v to both switches, then tie the wires together after the switches before the bilge pump and ground the other bilge pump wire. If you get a lit switch you need to take it apart because they like to ground the output when the switch is off and that will short out the circuit. If you use an seperate indicator light it'll light when either switch turns on the pump.

I got the Attwood 500GPH from Walmart simply because they are open all the time and there are WalMarts everywhere so if it dies and I'm away from home I can get a replacement quickly.

I'd go with two smaller ones before one large one as well.
Jamie

Could I run the power from the float switvh directly to the battery and still use the existing switch I have for the bilge? Basically having the float switch work while I am not in the boat and still use the manual while I am in the boat and not have to have a second switch for automatic.