Mount bases with rivnuts?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoolHand

Reaction score
I was thinking of trying to mount my seat posts using rivet nuts (rivnuts) and bolts instead of toggles like some have done. The main reason is that I will be able to unscrew them at will and the shallow depth under my planned floor. Does anyone have any experience with them? Will they hold up to the stress?

From experience, they are a curse when the bolt rusts to the rivnut and the rivnut spins in the soft aluminum.

I'd go another route, either a 3/8" plate under or over the new floor (that could be affixed to the floor before putting it down), or a thicker substructure that's drilled and tapped for the bolts under the floor (that's the route I took).

Jamie

Don't use rivnuts.

They don't have enough grip area to hold up to the loads of a seat base. They ripped through the bow of my Triton twice after being used at the factory to mount the trolling motor. I just about lost the motor into the lake the last time it happened.

Here is how I mounted my back seat on my jon. Now granted, I use carriage bolts on the swivel so i have to take up thast whole board to get to the nuts, but maybe you can figure out a variation to this. Basically 4 carriage bolts go through the swivel and the board. Then on the other side, i routed out a square to allow clearance for a 1/8" steel plate and the lock nuts. If you can figure out a way to do this and make your bolts removable, then go for it:

392103324.jpg

392103323.jpg

Latest posts