The best way to paint?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenn Tom Crappie

Reaction score
Here is a loaded question: What is the best painting process and what paint should I use? Should I just get cans of Rust-o-leum etc.?

Not loaded at all. Just depends on you. Strip paint (aircraft stripper) prime, (self etching primer) and paint. I used Parkers Duck Boat Paint and I am very happy with the results. Many have rolled, brushed, used spray cans and are just as happy. Various paints have been used with mixed results. Depends on your budget, skill set, time, and what type of finish you exspect. Hope this helps.

X2 on the Parker Coating Duck Boat paint!!!! I sanded my boat with 150 grit sandpaper, then washed the boat really well with degreaser, cleaned it with spirits, tacked it, primed it with etching primer in a can, tacked it again and I sprayed mine on at a local body shop. I basically got a really nice paint job for about $80. the paint was $48 after shipping (order directly from the company, it will be cheaper than ordering from cabelas). two cans of etching primer for the bare metal areas (my factory paint i used as primer) I then had to pay my friend that owned the body shop $20 for letting me use his booth and supplies. IMO, this was the best process for me:

dixie_boysles said:
alright I have an update!!!!!!!!!

took the boat to my friend's body shop today. We turned it upside down, I cleaned it with miniral spirits or something, then wiped it down with a tack cloth. Then primed it with etching primer on any bare aluminum surfaces. then wiped it with a tack cloth again. Then he showed me how to use the gun by applying the first coat. Then i applied two more coats while wiping with tack cloth between coats. It turned out amazing! I used Parker Coatings Bay Grey Duck Boat paint and I couldnt be more impressed with the covereage and the quality of the paint.

DSCF3268.jpg

DSCF3269.jpg

DSCF3270.jpg

DSCF3271.jpg

DSCF3272.jpg

DSCF3273.jpg

DSCF3274.jpg

DSCF3275.jpg

DSCF3276.jpg

click in my signature on the boat if you are interested in my build

Hey man there are tons of posts for people painting. Take some time to search for the threads and read up. You'll find that most of us did it the same way. Tons of info on here, check it out. Don't skimp on the paint process, it will likely cost you more in the long run.

Latest posts