Storage

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gajet31

Reaction score
I have debated my boat modifications long enough, its time for me to get started.... My first add on is going to be a waterproof storage box that I can screw down to the floor in front of my consul. I have done some internet searching and I cannot find much in this category. Do you think it will be cheaper to have a welder custom make me a box, with some tabs on the bottom to screw it down, or does anyone have a recommendation on a box to buy? I am picturing a small box, much like a truck tool box, with overhanging edges and weather-stripping, that I can use to store my important goods while out on the water.

Ideas and help appreciated.
David

How about just that-a truck tool box. If you shop around manufacturers are making all different sizes of diamond plate toolboxes now. Take one of those and mount to floor of boat. Waterproof,tough and lockable.

Define waterproof- as in submersible, or just something to keep the rain out?

Closer to submersible you get the more expensive its going to get.

How big of a box do you want?

You can pick up ammo cans from your local military surplus store for cheap. Drill a couple holes and bolt it to the floor. Seal teh holes with silcone and it remains water-proof, as in submersible.

I am looking for something waterproof, not submersable. I only want protection from water splashes and rain. And I did think of a truck tool box, however they are very expensive. And I am not looking for anything of that size. I would estimate the deminsions to be 20X15X10. I thought about the military style boxes, but I wanted something that would look nice and professional in my boat. I would like it to look like it was factory. But thanks for the help so far.

You can always make it out of plywood. You can water proof it or paint it or both. You can put weather stripping under the lid to seal it up. I like to do metal work better than wood work. I can always weld up my mistakes.....

gajet31 said:
I am looking for something waterproof, not submersable. I only want protection from water splashes and rain. And I did think of a truck tool box, however they are very expensive. And I am not looking for anything of that size. I would estimate the deminsions to be 20X15X10.

No welder is going to be able to beat the price of a commercially available, mass produced truck tool box, unless you had some magical source for free material, so getting one fabricated is probably out. Brine's cooler idea is probably the most economical - will shed water, is more stout than a rubbermaid tote, or the likes, and is relatively inexpensive.

I was thinking of something similar for my own boat. I found a pretty good selection of water tight boxes at the local Army Surplus shop. I think I will try to use a couple of those or modify them. Not too pricey. You may want to see what they have in your area. I think they clean up pretty nice and can be painted.

These are fantastic for what your looking for and only $30, believe it or not they are very water tight and lockable.

Image pictured is 24 gallons, they also make an 8 gallon model. I am in the process of making one of the 8 gallons models into a small live well for trout.

8 gal 19.9" x 14.1" x 12.1"
24 gal 26.5" x 19.3" x 17.4"

41THY96STSL._AA400_.jpg

Quick link
https://www.doitbest.com/Storage+totes-Rubbermaid-model-117204-doitbest-sku-609577.dib

summers said:
These are fantastic for what your looking for and only $30, believe it or not they are very water tight and lockable.

Image pictured is 24 gallons, they also make an 8 gallon model. I am in the process of making one of the 8 gallons models into a small live well for trout.

8 gal 19.9" x 14.1" x 12.1"
24 gal 26.5" x 19.3" x 17.4"

41THY96STSL._AA400_.jpg

Quick link
https://www.doitbest.com/Storage+totes-Rubbermaid-model-117204-doitbest-sku-609577.dib

A couple of the guys I have fished with in my area use these truck boxes and have for several years... they keep all of their stuff dry, are cheap, and can be removed if need be....

I snagged one of these https://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3982137 at Dick's today.

Latest posts