Trailering with Motor on the Transom......questions

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GreatWhite

Reaction score
Hey Gang,

Do any of you trailer you boat with the motor on the transom....

If so, do you use a transom saver/link.....or....do you simply run a tiedown around the lower end to keep it from 'bouncing' up....or do you just let it hang there.....

On a few local boats, they simply have the motor lowered (10hp), and a tiedown from one bunk, over the lower end, and to the other bunk...

Thoughts/ideas on trailering with motor attached.....(talking tinny's here)

THX

I trailer with my 08 Nissan 18hp 4stroke (124lbs) down on a 16' jon. The nissan has a tension lock on the motor that I can set it so the motor doesn't move around. If you do trailer with the motor down you need to take a look at how much clearance you have from the bottom of the motor and the road, remembering all roads aren't smooth and extra caution on dips in and out of driveways may be need to avoid scraping the motor. Saying that I haven't had any problems in all the years that I've been running back and forth to the lakes.

I towed my Evinrude 15hp in the down position and used bungee cords to secure from bouncing around. Since I upgraded to a Evinrude 25hp, I bought a transom saver. One less thing to worry about.

I've got a 20 johnson on the back of my Xpress... I should probably use a transom saver, but I just put the motor all the way down, turn it as far as I can to one side and run a bungee cord from one transom handle to the other and back. It doesn't move at all.

I busted my cavitation plate on a motor one time and I've used a transom saver ever on no matter the size of my motor. Keeping the motor up and secure is worth the cost of the smallest light weight saver.

I trailered my 18hp Evinrude all summer on the boat. Just got a transom saver becuae it made my wince every time I went over a bump and saw the motor bouncing around ni my rearview.

BaitCaster said:
I trailered my 18hp Evinrude all summer on the boat. Just got a transom saver becuae it made my wince every time I went over a bump and saw the motor bouncing around ni my rearview.

Yep, that was me too. A little peace of mind goes a long way.