How High is to High

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leemac

Reaction score
Changed motors on my boat now the cav plate is sitting a little over 1 inch above bottom of boat is that to much. :?:

The question is water pressure and cavitation. If your motor maintains sufficient water pressure you are fine. The next thing would be seeing if the prop blows out at WOT and on hard turns.

Specknreds said:
The question is water pressure and cavitation. If your motor maintains sufficient water pressure you are fine. The next thing would be seeing if the prop blows out at WOT and on hard turns.

I agree with Specksnreds. Mine sits about 1" above bottom of hull. Gets adequate water pressure, and no prop blow out on turns. Not saying yours will be okay. You'll have to run it to find out.

You should be OK. If you are running a small horse power motor you can get away with more. If you have ever run a trolling motor and had it set too shallow, it starts sucking air and creating a vortex. You lower it just a tad and the sucking sound stops. That is the most efficent depth to run a motor. Least drag with out sucking air from above. Even if you are able to get it to break loose in a sharp turn at full throddle, just slow down a little. It's a tin boat.

tccanoe said:
You should be OK. If you are running a small horse power motor you can get away with more. If you have ever run a trolling motor and had it set too shallow, it starts sucking air and creating a vortex. You lower it just a tad and the sucking sound stops. That is the most efficent depth to run a motor. Least drag with out sucking air from above. Even if you are able to get it to break loose in a sharp turn at full throddle, just slow down a little. It's a tin boat.

x2 - mine starts to slip free a bit in REAL tight turns - the kind you shouldn't be making in a 35 year old machine. Otherwise, I turn wider or slow down.

Just run it and see.

Thanks guys its a 9.9 Johnson put it on Saturday then it rained Sunday so can't try it till this weekend I'll let you know how it works.

Latest posts