Has anybody used......?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveInGA

Reaction score
I was at Home Depot looking at the Trex composite decking they have in 1 X 6 X 8 foot or better, brown or gray. A thought occurred to me that this stuff might make good material for bunk material. You would have to stack two of these on top of one another, possibly glue them with outdoor liquid nails and then bolt them down.

You'd have to drill holes so the bolt heads would be below the surface of the composite decking, but I'm thinking it is feasible and possibly less expensive than ultimatebunkboards.com.

Anybody have any thoughts?

It's been discussed time and time again on various boards, and for the most part, people come to the conclusion that it just doesn't have enough strength to hold the weight for too long. I've never used it to say for certain, but from what I've read online, I'm not ever going to try it either.

If you used it for the slick factor over a wood or metal bunk, it would probably work, but I'd just as soon use UHMW, or the cutting board plastic, as I have used them successfully.

I'm planning to use it on my build, but in the 2x version. For additional strength, I'm gonna back it up from beneath with angle iron. I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to post pics. Guess I'll be the guinea pig / lab rat.

lbursell said:
I'm planning to use it on my build, but in the 2x version. For additional strength, I'm gonna back it up from beneath with angle iron. I'm almost to the point where I'm ready to post pics. Guess I'll be the guinea pig / lab rat.

Please do post results. I'm very interested. I can't find anything local to do the fenders on my trailer that is in a dimension that's reasonably close in thickness. So I'm probably going to be the second lab rat.

I'll be happy to post for the build process. But, at the rate I work (s - l - o - w), it will probably be next summer before the boat/trailer sees any water. I've been disassembling, grinding, sanding on the trailer since early September and I've just got some of the hardware painted. Hope to start painting the frame this weekend. Pics will be posted - eventually.

UBB are nice, but just go to WalMart and get a $10 cutting board like Bassboy said and screw it into a bare or carpeted regular 2x4 and forget about it for 10 years. I wouldn't waste the money on trex boards because they flex too much (need support every 16").

Jamie