Need help on what boat this is, 15ft jon boat

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmzachar

Reaction score
Looking at this boat on CL. Owner says it is a 15ft jon boat and 48in wide. No idea what the manufacturer is, which is where I'd like some help. I'm trying to decide if it's a good buy, ($600 for the boat, trailer, and 9.9 outboard). I currently own a 1436, but want something bigger, but am not sure if this is a big enough upgrade from that. Any help on what this boat actually is though would be appreciated.

the boat looks like it can be overhauled and made into a keeper. the motor looks newer....what year is it and make? the trailer looks like garbage. if u have a 14 footer is there that much of an advantage of gaining a foot? what condition is your 14 footer in? have you thought about taking the 600 and overhauling your current jon boat?

mhinkle1990 said:
the boat looks like it can be overhauled and made into a keeper. the motor looks newer....what year is it and make? the trailer looks like garbage. if u have a 14 footer is there that much of an advantage of gaining a foot? what condition is your 14 footer in? have you thought about taking the 600 and overhauling your current jon boat?

14 is brand new essentially(work at cabelas and got a great deal on it, but am now thinking I want more stability then a 1436)...I've been looking for a motor and a lot of what i'm seeing to be finding is boat/trailer/motor deals at about the same price level of just an outright motor. So I was hoping I would come across a 1648 or something there abouts with a motor, sell the trailer and boat I got now, and come out ahead maybe. Guy said it's an evinrude. Trying to get a phone number now to actually talk, so I have no idea of the year yet.

:WELCOME: fellow michigander :!:

You might just pick that up for the motor and sell the boat and trailer..... by looking at the picture you posted, I wouldn't want it... I see they screwed wood to the gunwhales to stiffen it.... that to me means a flimsy cheap boat. Although I could be way off on that too, so.........

The snub nose on that boat looks like that of a meyers boat.

BTW.... I could never work at a sporting goods store....I would never have a pay-check. :LOL2:

The extra width would definitely mean more stability. I would do what Perchin suggested. Buy the boat, trailer and motor, then sell anything that wasn't up to my standards and keep the items I liked. I once bought such a setup, didn't like the boat, sold it and the trailer and kept the motor. I ended selling the items I did not want for as much as I paid for everything in a package.

the boat looks like a welded hull, much wider and has a nice deep draft. If the motor is a strong runner I would say, "No brainer." I think you'll find the boat much more stable. I think you can switch stuff around and get most if not all your money back and have a better overall outfit. If you're up for some modding, go for it. Hay, that trailer has life in it too. Look at that undercarrage. That's heavy duty.

its a tough decision but one only you can make, work would definitely have to be done on this boat but you would reap more benefits. to me, i love my 14footer and would only go bigger if i had a bigger motor to fit it. i have a 25hp on mine and if i went 16 i would go 30 maybe even 40hp....i do like to go fast but i also hit the flats and the everglads down here in south fl. soley on personal discretion of how you fish and use your jon. for 600 it isnt a bad deal. make sure you have all titles and nothing is stolen or illegit. if anything do what all the other guys are saying, buy and sell what you dont want and i've done it my self. you usually can get your money back out of it or get prett close.

Suggestion: Sell the one you got now, combine that with the 600 you woulda spent here and take another great deal from Cabela's.

I'm only going to comment on the upgrade size as others seem to have the rest covered:

Going from 1436 to 1548 is a step up in size indeed.....however, it's not that much bigger and I'm betting you will fill that "extra" space very quickly. Not sure of your fishing water habitats, but I'd be looking for something in the 1648 range as a minimum upgrade. By going to a 1648, you gain approximately 4sq ft. of floor space over a 1548 and that's a huge benefit. Either way....bigger is still bigger. Just depends on how much bigger you want.

1436 upgrade to 1548= approx 4.4 extra ft of space
1436 upgrade to 1648= approx 8.4 extra ft of space

I decided against buying it because the seller seemed a little off to me. He knew nothing about the boat, no idea how old the motor was, not even an estimate. Just didn't seem worth it to me. Thanks a ton for all the input though, much appreciated. ..got another boat I'm eyeing now

yea if the seller doesnt know anything it could be a good or bad thing. good because you might be able to get it for a lot less than its actual value...bad because it might have serious problems including an illegit title possibly stolen. all in all there are many boats out there. just find the one that fits you. down here in south florida there are so many jonnys for sale on craigslist its crazy. thats where i got mine!