Pitting repair

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sixshootertexan

Reaction score
I have found some pitting on the bottom of my boat. I don't think it is serious pitting (see pic) but still pitting. I have been reading a lot about this issue and have not found any info on how to clean the area to make sure the corrosion is stopped before applying any fillers or epoxy paints. I know welding is the best but I don't think this is a serious enough issue here. The picture is of the worst spot.

Attachments

• Boat 047-1.jpg
    Boat 047-1.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 710
I'd glass bead blast the damaged areas to clean them up, then depending on the water you fish (salt, brackish, or fresh) I'd either weld or sealant repair. Looks like bunk carpet abrasion allowed salt or PT wood chemical water to sit on the bare aluminum causing the pitting. UHMW glide blocks will keep the carpet away and make the hull load easier.

Jamie

Got the bead blaster today and 5lbs. of medium ground glass. Used all of the medium and was just enough. Here's a pic after blasting. now to get some filler for it.

Attachments

• Boat 059-1.jpg
    Boat 059-1.jpg
    22.4 KB · Views: 633
I'de use some 3-M 5200 Sealant on that.I have been reading a lot about it in the last couple of days for my 16' flatbottom that I'm in the middle of right now.Put a rubber glove on and squeeze it into that rolled area of the rib,really tight.

Latest posts