replacing transom on grumman

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rob_rides_03

Reaction score
hey guys, new here. Recently picked up a 18x49 grumman jon boat im setting up for a duck hunting rig. Boat is all welded. I recently got the boat from a friend for free. It had been sitting on the side of a pond at an estate where it was full of water, mud and vegetation. It has a small tear in the bottom of the transom that is getting fixxed by my welder right now.

However, when the boat was full of that mud and crap, it ruined all the flotation in the seats. So, i cut holes in the tops of the seats, and dug out all the foam. Im planning on using these spaces for holding gear (life jackets, throwable, that sorta stuff). It also ruined the transom. It is totally soaked. I have a 25hp mud buddy longtail motor im going to use on the boat which isn't light...i think it weighs about 170lbs. I'd like to replace the transom wood in it, but not sure how to go about it...

I tried searching around on doing this to a grumman but didn't see much??? Am i just going to need to cut the braces off the corners of the transom, bend the cap off and pull the old transom wood out and just replace?...Which means i'd need to have the braces welded back on?

i wish i had taken pictures before i brought it to the welder but will when i get back in the next couple days

thanks

:WELCOME:

Lets see what it looks like first before giving you ideas. IT does however sound you are heading down the right path with the transom. The Floatation you removed on the other hand does not. Is there any left in the boat? If not, are you planning on replacing some?

I recall a member here telling us he purchased a boat with the foam removed and it sank like a rock in one freak second(Bilge did not work I think???). Luckily his son was wearing a lifejacket and they were only a 100 yards or so from land.