Question on monark boat...

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rmzachar

Reaction score
does this seem like a good deal? I'm thinking it is, i just don't know much about this boat and can't find any info online. Thanks to anyone that can give me more info on this...

boat is listed here:

https://jxn.craigslist.org/boa/2026088993.html

Monarks good boats. $1200 is a good deal if the motor runs strong and has electric start. 25hp will scoot that boat. The motor does not look like a short shaft to me. It looks like a long shaft. The cavitation plate (large plate just above the prop) should be even within an inch one way or other of the keel (bottom of the boat). Don't let that keep you from buying the boat. We (being us guys) will get you past that later no prob. Pics always look better than being there but it still looks real good. Take it for a test drive!

Hmm, I hadn't noticed that but do now. I'm hopefully going to go see it tomorrow or Saturday and will decide then if I'm going to buy it. Does anyone have any more information on this boat? I can't seem to find any information on it anywhere online.

I'm going to go look at (and hopefully buy) this boat on Monday. Anything in particular that I should look for? I know the motor runs, as he had it out on a lake by my house while I was talking to him on the phone (who would lie about something like that?). I'm guessing I should test the compression on the motor, though it should be in good shape because it's not that old. Any other things I should keep an eye out for? Thanks.

Looks nice, I'd just check the overall quality of the build and water test the engine, show cash and run it on the water for a half hour or so it'll show any problemw ith the hull or motor.

If the guy won't water test it walk away (been there, never thought to ask and paid the price)

Good luck,
Jamie

Ranchero50 said:
Looks nice, I'd just check the overall quality of the build and water test the engine, show cash and run it on the water for a half hour or so it'll show any problem with the hull or motor.

If the guy won't water test it walk away (been there, never thought to ask and paid the price)

Good luck,
Jamie

Yeah, the plan is to take it out on the lake. I was going to meet him Friday when he was out on it, but I couldn't make it. Maybe I'm naive, but who would offer to take you out on the lake if they know it leaks?

Well, the motor was a mess. The guy didn't believe in using switches, so exposed wires were all over for the lights. Oil, gas were leaking inside of the cowling, some stuff was siliconed/electrical taped together. Grease was all over...needless to say I did not buy it. The guy pretty much indirectly said he doesn't maintain things, just run it until it breaks. Kept insisting that he has had no problems at all with the motor so it should be good to go. Oh well...

Well, that's kind of where I was going with the overall quality thing. On the motor, if it started easily and idled as well and ran at speed underlod ok I would have gotten it. Wiring is always hacked, mine had romex and even telephone wiring powering stuff but the hull was sound and the engine started on the first pull so I paid $1500 for mine.

If you left on good terms I'd consider calling back in a day or two and talking it over with him Some folks are just A-holes but this guy might want to see it go where it'll be cared for, afterall he spent the time to get it where it is...

Jamie

It all depends upon how deep you want to go into this boat and how far you can get the price down. Say under a grand then toss the motor for 100 bucks buy a $600 strong runner and a deep re-mod on boat and trailer and you got a life-time boat. But how deep are you willing to go?

+1 on what ranchero says, and then offer him a little less $$ since you know there is some work to be done, he doesn't want to maintain it, well, then he shouldn't get top $$ or asking price for it. One question I would definitely ask, is WHY are you selling? He may say there is something wrong with the boat, you can see how he reacts to the question.

A lot of it had to do with the way he talked about his stuff. Judging from the way his yard was, he doesn't seem to take care of his stuff(stuff just laying around everywhere, a couple old boats just rotting away). The boat itself had some strange mods done to it, like random wood screwed in and just live wires laying around because he doesn't believe in switches for whatever reason. The big reason I was going for this boat was the motor though and I don't really want to have to deal with the unknowns on a motor like that. Claims he never takes the cover off the motor, but then talks about how he just changed the spark plugs. Fuel and oil all over inside of that, just leaking and getting on everything as well as looking burnt up. Grease was oozing out from an unknown spot too. I'm not all that knowledgeable on motors so I didn't want to risk buying something that might die on me soon. Another thing, I'm not sure if this is normal or not, was that he didn't actually trim the motor. He just let it sit there so when he ran into stumps or whatever the motor would just bounce up and not damage the prop. I don't know if that's normal or what, but that along with all the other stuff turned me off. I already own a 1436 jon with a trailer, have just been looking for a motor for it. Figured I could get a bigger boat with a motor already for a good deal like this one, but may just now stick with the 1436.

In the end, it was just way too many homemade temporary fixes for stuff. He was honest about everything really, but I'd rather not buy something that has clearly been neglected...

In the end, it was just way too many homemade temporary fixes for stuff. He was honest about everything really, but I'd rather not buy something that has clearly been neglected...

I don't think the motor is worth the gamble in my opinion. Honestly, it sounds like junk to me. I would have passed as well. There are plenty of clean, fresh water, low hour motors to choose from in my state.

It sounds like it's junked out. I think you did the right thing. There seem to be a lot of boats out there right now. Keep looking and keep us posted. Good luck.