Thoughts on first boat?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guido611

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm 24 and just got into fishing 2 summers ago. I am absolutely in love with it, and have spent every single day off over the last two summers fishing of the banks off the Susquehanna river (central PA) or local ponds and creeks. I know this is something important to me and will probably keep up this pastime for years to come. I've recently graduated college, and I'm considering purchasing my first boat. My price range is limited and I definitely want a flat bottom Jon, although the only ones in my price range are used 1232 jons on craigslist. My question is, does anyone have any experience fishing out of these little boats? can you tell me a little bit about stability on these things? I hear 1232's are pretty wobbly but I've seen people on youtube standing in 10 footers. I plan on doing some minor mods (no decks) like paint, carpet , rod holder, and flooring and seats. I weigh 165 and my fishing buddy about the same. Also I plan on only using a minn kota 55# electric since my local lakes are electric only. Can anybody tell me if this is an ok setup. What the experience will be like. And if it would be dangerous in a large river such as the Susquehanna which is very wide but shallow and minor current.

By the way if anybody has any links to any good 12ft jon videos, articles or any info, much appreciated.

hay Guido, Welcome aboard. Sounds like you've got the fishing fever good. What's your budget? This time of year till Christmas, you should be able to get a really good deal on a boat with the economy being what is and all. Look around this site and see what people give for boats. Good luck. Go wide.

if you can stand on 1 foot and balance yourself you wont have a problem fishing out of the 12'r. ive had 3 people in mine and did fine (just short one room). my and a buddy would stand on the seets when sight fishing and never had a problem

go for it brother you can always sell it and upgrade

I'm about 265 and my fishing buddy is a similar weight. We borrowed my wifes uncles little jon once to fish a little creek. His is a 1032. That thing scared me to death. I feel safer on a canoe than a 32" flat bottom. People do mod them with success and have no problems. Guess I'm just too fat for that small of a boat!! My current project is a 1436 and I can see myself upgradeing to a 48" boat in the future. I say go as wide as the budget will allow you to go. You should be able to find some great deals this time of year. If a 1232 is all thats in the budget though, I would definately go for it. It sure beats settin on the bank!!

Welcome to Tinboats by the way and post up pics when you buy your new project. If you dont post pics, then the boat dosnt exist!!!!!! :mrgreen:

I've been where your at and being on the bank is the worst, especially when you are watching guys in boats going by headed out to the spots you wish you could fish. Start out with whatever you can afford, the cost of a 1232 of craigs list will be well worth it even if you just fish out of it for a summer. I found in my area I could get a much wider semi-v hull (flat bottom with v front) at a lot better price than a wide jon boat. I ended up buying an old 14' starcraft semi-v which has an interior bottom width of just over ~52" and a ~64" beam. Drafts shallow like a jon, and a lot bigger (longer and most importantly wider) hulls were available in my area for a lot cheaper than I could find a wide jon.

First of all, welcome aboard. If you are looking for a starter boat, just get what your budget allows. To be out on the water is an awesome thing. Bank fishing is okay, but there is no comparison with fishing on a boat. Any size will do, you will be fine with anything. My brother and I have fished on a 1232 since we were little tikes, now we are both over 6 feet tall and 220+. I just bought a 1436 in April and did my first modification, but everytime I go back to Ohio, we always fish on the 1232 and although a little wobbly, it doesn't impede the fishing experience. The joy of being out on the water will always trump the stability issue for me...

For the big river, 1448 or even a 1654 minimum. Save your money or get a loan. Buy something with a jet or that will take a jet.

A 1232 on fast flowing ridge filled rocky water is a recipe to get tossed and drowned in an eddie. Happens all the time up there.

Jamie

Thanks guys, Ive made up my mind. I went to the local boating store today and put a down payment on a 2010 branspankin new alumacraft 1236. a bit wider than most jons I looked at, and a lot more stable than all those 1232's. Especially because the sides are 19inches tall, and it has a max weight capacity of 540lbs, which is the best ive seen on a 12 footer. The total cost after taxes and tags is $932. I'll have it payed off in 2 months and then the hunt for a cheap trailer and motor will be coming soon. Ill post pics of me doing my mods over the winter, and hopefully some pics of monster bass when the weather gets warmer :)

guido611 said:
Thanks guys, Ive made up my mind. I went to the local boating store today and put a down payment on a 2010 branspankin new alumacraft 1236. a bit wider than most jons I looked at, and a lot more stable than all those 1232's. Especially because the sides are 19inches tall, and it has a max weight capacity of 540lbs, which is the best ive seen on a 12 footer. The total cost after taxes and tags is $932. I'll have it payed off in 2 months and then the hunt for a cheap trailer and motor will be coming soon. Ill post pics of me doing my mods over the winter, and hopefully some pics of monster bass when the weather gets warmer :)

awesome man!!! Good luck with the winter build... If you run into any complications, be sure to use this community as a tool. The guys on here are all great and will help you more than you know. They were essential to my build. Can't wait to see the results of your winter work!

I'm 14 and bought my first boat this year too. I was planning on getting a Jon Boat but i found a Pelican Bass Raider 10E and i love it. it is pre-wired, crazy stable, and has two motor mounts. it can take up to a 4hp motor and that will let it go atleast 15mph. you can put the trolling motor on the front too. I have a minn kota endura 30 on the back of mine currently and it gets me everywhere i need to go. I fish SML so i need to get some speed eventually. but its great for what i do. I can stand on the corner of it and it wont tip and im 155lbs.

it can take up to a 4hp motor and that will let it go atleast 15mph

15 mph!? :shock: I'd like to see a vid w/gps. I previously owned a BR 10E with a 3hp OB and it came no where near 15 mph. You'd have some major swamping issues.

zerofivenismo said:
it can take up to a 4hp motor and that will let it go atleast 15mph

15 mph!? :shock: I'd like to see a vid w/gps. I previously owned a BR 10E with a 3hp OB and it came no where near 15 mph. You'd have some major swamping issues.
really? oh, my bad! i saw a guy sellin his and he said he had in on a 14 john boat and got to 15 mph (according to his GPS) by himself and 13 with a friend.i should probably verify that :oops:

Latest posts