boat carpet?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

midnight_f150

Reaction score
where is a good place to order boat carpet? I need to replace the carpet in my lowe stick steer boat. thank you Jason.

midnight_f150 said:
where is a good place to order boat carpet? I need to replace the carpet in my lowe stick steer boat. thank you Jason.

You can get the cheaper stuff at Lowes or HD. You can also look at a million different sites online. I would reccomend getting the open loop carpet with some kind of backing if you want to have it last a long time.

J

my boat carpet is outdoor carpet w/ rubber backing that I ordered from Lowes. Very happy with it, and it looks like it will last a long time. I believe it was around $100 for the minimum amount they would let me order, which is more then enough to do a 14' jon boat.

WhiteMoose said:
my boat carpet is outdoor carpet w/ rubber backing that I ordered from Lowes. Very happy with it, and it looks like it will last a long time. I believe it was around $100 for the minimum amount they would let me order, which is more then enough to do a 14' jon boat.

Did you just ask to see a catalog?

Lowes outdoor carpet with marine backing FTW!!!! Its like 5.36 a foot (6 foot wide role). I bought mine in store

392441681.jpg

392036313.jpg

391996795.jpg

391996792.jpg

I got regular sand clored astroturf in mine that's lasted about 13 years. It needs replacing now, but it's been great. I bought mine at a local HW store where you just buy it by the foot off a 5 or 6 foot wide roll. It seems to be about the cheapest option too.

I want to do durabak in mine, but then I see carpeted boats like dixie_boysles and it makes me second guess myself. Your carpet looks good man. Looks like it came from the factory with it.

Mpd165 said:
I want to do durabak in mine, but then I see carpeted boats like dixie_boysles and it makes me second guess myself. Your carpet looks good man. Looks like it came from the factory with it.

The carpet installation is not that hard at all, just tedious and time consuming. Nothing feels better though when you are done!

Mpd165 said:
Thanks! Everyone asks "Who I hired to carpet my boat". Im like ME!! Like troutman said, its easy as heck! All you need is a gallon on contact cement from Lowes over in the paint department and get the carpet like me. I would say no to the astroturf if you like a nice soft carpet. I fish with my flipflops in the summer and like to be able to take them off.

All you have to do is have a nice concrete pad (like my carport) or a good flat surface . Then take and lay your carpet upside down. place your panels/floors on it and trace around them about 2" with a sharpie (depending on thickness of material, you want it to overlap on the back at least an inch). Then cut along the lines. Now come the gluing part. take the contact cement and put a coat on the panel/floorboard you want to carpet, and the back of the cutout carpet. Then let it tack up. once tacked up, (you may want helping hands with this part) place the item to be carpeted onto the carpet. Before placing down, make sure there are no wrinkles in the carpet and that you have places it right because once you set it down, there is no correcting it. now stand on it/walk around on it. Now you should still have your overlapping extra carpet to deal with. you wil need to almost 45 cut the corners so they dont overlap. now with the contact cement, do the same, glue on the carpet, and glue on the back of the item to be carpeted about an inch or so on the edge. once its tacked up, press the carpet onto it, then walk on the edges. now flip your piece over and rub it down with you hands and you are done!!

on a side note too, I know its common sense, but make sure the "grain" in the carpet is all in the same direction. But please do carpet, you wont regret it. It looks SOOOO good, reduces noise, is slip resistant, and feels good on the feet.

dixie_boysles said:
on a side note too, I know its common sense, but make sure the "grain" in the carpet is all in the same direction. But please do carpet, you wont regret it. It looks SOOOO good, reduces noise, is slip resistant, and feels good on the feet.

I am pretty sure we are used the same carpet from Lowes. And yes, make sure the grain is in the same direction. I had to redo a hatch because I forgot to pay attention to that detail.

cavman138 said:
dixie_boysles said:

I am pretty sure we are used the same carpet from Lowes. And yes, make sure the grain is in the same direction. I had to redo a hatch because I forgot to pay attention to that detail.

Another cool idea is to do the grain at a 45 degree angle (instead of the lines going straight up and down or straight across). I found out by accident that it looks awesome, and actually makes grain harder for your eyes to recognize, making it look like that cheap-o carpet from lowes or HD.

dixie_boysles said:
Mpd165 said:
Thanks! Everyone asks "Who I hired to carpet my boat". Im like ME!! Like troutman said, its easy as heck! All you need is a gallon on contact cement from Lowes over in the paint department and get the carpet like me. I would say no to the astroturf if you like a nice soft carpet. I fish with my flipflops in the summer and like to be able to take them off.

All you have to do is have a nice concrete pad (like my carport) or a good flat surface . Then take and lay your carpet upside down. place your panels/floors on it and trace around them about 2" with a sharpie (depending on thickness of material, you want it to overlap on the back at least an inch). Then cut along the lines. Now come the gluing part. take the contact cement and put a coat on the panel/floorboard you want to carpet, and the back of the cutout carpet. Then let it tack up. once tacked up, (you may want helping hands with this part) place the item to be carpeted onto the carpet. Before placing down, make sure there are no wrinkles in the carpet and that you have places it right because once you set it down, there is no correcting it. now stand on it/walk around on it. Now you should still have your overlapping extra carpet to deal with. you wil need to almost 45 cut the corners so they dont overlap. now with the contact cement, do the same, glue on the carpet, and glue on the back of the item to be carpeted about an inch or so on the edge. once its tacked up, press the carpet onto it, then walk on the edges. now flip your piece over and rub it down with you hands and you are done!!

Good info, thanks again. I definately see the advantages of carpet and am thinking more and more everyday that may be the route I take, expecially now that I have step by step directions.

My Lowes currently keeps the grey marine carpet in stock (I'm talking the true marine carpet like Dixie mentioned, not the indoor/outdoor carpet). I'm using it on a current customer's boat, and it seems to be a decent quality carpet.

The three boats in my sig as of the date of this post all have the Lowes Indoor/Outdoor carpet, and I wouldn't recommend it (the marine carpet is a recent addition to the in-stock inventory, and in the boats currently in my sig, the extra time to order was a deal breaker). Real thin carpet that doesn't hold up well, and the loop weave absolutely sucks. Holds dirt worse than anything, and hooks are a nightmare. Just for a test, I dragged a crankbait treble through the marine carpet, and could go many feet before it really snagged up, and when it did, it could usually be shaken free. The I/O carpet, on the other hand, would never give me more than a half an inch, and being the loop weave, was near impossible to get out.

Mpd165 said:
dixie_boysles said:
Mpd165 said:

Good info, thanks again. I definately see the advantages of carpet and am thinking more and more everyday that may be the route I take, expecially now that I have step by step directions.

no problem if you need any help , pm me

I looked several places before deciding on Lowe's. It was really easy to work with and had a rubberized backing that the comparable carpet from Home Depot didn't have. Cost me 49 cents a square foot, sold in-store in 12 foot sections (you just let them know how much you want). For my 1436 it cost me right around $65. Here's what it looks like on the boat.

Attachments

• 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 842
Found this place for GA boys. Its the same stuff BPS sells at half the price and is a much higher quality than lowes.

https://www.capricarpet.com/c-239-boat-carpet.aspx

Capri Carpet is the exact stuff all the top names (ranger, champion,basscat etc...) use on their boats. I have used the 20oz. and its great stuff, ultra high quality and easy to work with. Decent price too.

clarker2000 said:
Capri Carpet is the exact stuff all the top names (ranger, champion,basscat etc...) use on their boats. I have used the 20oz. and its great stuff, ultra high quality and easy to work with. Decent price too.

Thats good to know because it worth paying a little more to have it last a lot longer.

Latest posts