hull slap

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snooker

Reaction score
I have a 14' flat bottom and I'm open to suggestions to quiet the hull from slapping water. I fish the Indian River Lagoon here in florida. Water isn't rough but has a little chop to it. I would like to install something on the bottom of the hull to keep the slap noise down. Other than buying a vee, I'm open to advice.

Cheapest fix is going to be a layer of tar roofing coating 1/4" thick on the interior front end floor or get some audio sound deadener (which is very expensive for the coverage). Put a sheet of 4mill plastic down over the tar to keep it from becoming a mess... Rhino lining does it as well, but it's expensive and since it dries it doesn't do as good of a job dampening the vibrations...

Jamie

I'm no expert on this but is the boat porpoising? Have you tried trimming the motor?

Boat makers have been battling this for years especially on fiberglass Florida flats boats. The only way they have stopped it was to round the hull so the waves can't catch on anything. You can never stop it but boat positioning can help. You might need to approach the flat at a different angle to the wind. I have a semi-vee and it helps some. My fiberglass even does it in the right conditions.

I did see a guy one time stretch a pad across the front of his flat boat when he stopped. It took me a while to figure it out. The pad went slightly under the front as he moved. It broke the waves thus not slapping on the hull. It would be a pain picking it up each time you move, but it just might work.

Similar to what Specknreds said...
I've heard if you have a piece of carpet and hang it overboard when you are slow trolling or polling,might need alittle weight on the end of it so it hangs in the water.

People around here use the carpet over the bow trick.

Kind of makes a mess when you haul it back in the boat but it seems to work.

Latest posts