Toolbox Center Console

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rook

Reaction score
Upon request I am going to give a quick rundown on the building of my "Toolbox" Center Console. The concept of my tin build was to make a "flats style" boat to chase inshore fish on the flats and in the shallows. The entire time I was in the process of building my boat the console was always in the back of my mind. I wanted something small to give me as much room as possible in the boat. Had thoughts of modifying the original side console that I removed form the boat but it was too wide. Had thoughts of building one out of wood/fiberglass but thats alot of work. Also looked at buying one new or used off Ebay or Craigslist but they are few and far between and the ones you can find are expensive. One day I was looking through my Aluminum scrap pile when it hit me like a ton of bricks. I had aquired old beat up deep truck tool box a while back and it looked like it would make the perfect start to a center console.

basstracker053.jpg

Out came the grider and within minutes I knew I had the perfect solution for my problem. I had to play with the measurements and angle a little to get it like I wanted but it was looking promising.

basstracker054.jpg

basstracker055.jpg

After it was all said and done and cleaned up a little.

basstracker056.jpg

basstracker057.jpg

Then came the issues of what to do for a top and how to strengthen the console for the beating and banging that it will receive. I am in a business that gives me access to alot of Mahogany so the top would be no problem. As for the strength I used 1/2" plywood to line the inside. The plywood is glued and srewed to the inside of the console.

As for making the top I used 1" x 1 1/2" pieces of Mah which I glued together then planed to 3/4" thick. Once planed I kerfed the edges to fit down over the alum portion of the console and attached with alum L-brackets.

basstracker068.jpg

basstracker070.jpg

basstracker069.jpg

basstracker071.jpg

basstracker072.jpg

Assembly

basstracker073.jpg

basstracker074.jpg

basstracker075.jpg

basstracker077.jpg

basstracker078.jpg

Finishing ( I used three coats of Jack Tar Marine Spar Varnish)

basstracker079.jpg

I had a little help with the painting. After all, according to her its her boat anyway. :mrgreen:

basstracker080.jpg

Finished Console

basstracker081.jpg

basstracker082.jpg

basstracker083.jpg

Completely finished and installed. I used 6) #12 SS screws that went through the console, floor, and into the ribs of the hull. So far so good, shes holding strong and is as stable as any center console I have seen in a tin, factory or not.

basstracker094.jpg

basstracker095.jpg

basstracker097.jpg

Complete build finished, I used the same Mah for the tolling motor plug up front as well. I had alot of fun with this build but the console was definitely my favorite part.

basstracker105.jpg

basstracker104.jpg

basstracker102.jpg

basstracker101.jpg

basstracker100.jpg

Yes, it deserved some dusting off! Vey creative on using a truck tool box. Obviously the wood stiffened it up....and the Mahogany added a nice soft look to the industrial look of the diamond plate. I just love these type of creative self-motivated projects....simple, yet thoughtful, creative, and practical. Well done!

I really love your build!

The only thing I would have recommended would be using marine carpet instead of that ribbed porch carpet. Believe it or not, the marine carpet costs the same or less from Lowes or SpartaCarpets.com.

The reasons that it matters is that it lasts longer, (better UV protection) feels better underfoot and most importantly, doesn't hold water, so it dries faster and helps the wood underneath last longer and not rot.

Maybe if you ever refresh it in the future, but awesome build!

Latest posts