multi-state boat registration

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Redcorn

Reaction score
Just wanted to start off by saying that this site is awesome and has been very helpful for ideas for potential projects.

So im going to be buying my first boat soon, a 1236 aluminum flat-bottom Jon Boat for around $100. I wanna make a project boat out of it and make it something i can fish out on the rivers and lakes of Florida and South Carolina with.

Here's my question, I live in Jacksonville, Fl but go to school at Clemson in upstate, SC. Would i be able to get my boat registered in one of those states and still bring it with me when im at school, or at home?

Also would a 12" Jon be too unstable if i build a fishing deck at the bow of the boat?

I'm pretty certain boats are like cars in that they can o just about anywhere with one states sticker and registration. You will need both states fishing liscenses though. A quick search of your local DNR website should tell the tale for sure.

Jamie

Some states limit how long an out of state boat can be used in their waters.

Register the boat in the state you actually live in....all advice above is also good...

Some states require the trailer also have a title and a license plate...check Florida laws on that...

On the stability question...there are many variables to that equation...weight of people, weight of gear, weight distributiion, height of deck, height of seat (if any)...etc., etc....best to check out other builds and posts in here for answers to that question....

Outdoorsman.

You need to Check with the State in question(SC)

I live in California, and the way I understand it here, I can go to the Colorado river between Cali and AZ but only launch from the Cali side.

You live in Jacksonville Fla. Register your boat there unless you plan to be in college for an awful long time. The bass pro's do not register their boats in every state they fish in and they fish in a lot states.

There is a rift created here on the coast of SC about the yacht owners who park their yacht here but register it in Florida where the taxes are cheaper. They call SC home but Florida gets the revenue. They have to move the yacht to a different slip in the marina once a year so it will not fall under a SC yacht registered in another state. I believe they have to move it at least every 180 days.

A very interesting question, especially since I am needing to do that too. My boat has been registered in GA since GA had a registration law, waaay back. My Dad had it registered, and I do not want to lose that number. I am in MS for some months, and by law, MS gives 60 days to register a boat. So, since I want to fish here too, I had to register it in MS. But, I am keeping my very old GA numbers. In effect, I am paying two states money, but it is worth it for me. Never thought I would say I am glad to pay a tax two times! So, right now, I am legally registered in two states.

This is different than just going fishing with an out of state boat (like pros do), which any one can do. This is a matter of actually registering in two states. Not too many people in my situation, but my work requires me to live in more than one state for more than the 60 days MS gives.

Latest posts