just got a 1236 Lowe

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blazinjames

Reaction score
so i just was given a Lowe 1236 aluminum boat and Im wondering if it is good enough to take into the ocean? I like to salmon fish and boat around. I currently have a 6.5 evinrude but I would like to get a 9.9 or 15 for it

any thoughts?

blazinjames said:
so i just was given a Lowe 1236 aluminum boat and Im wondering if it is good enough to take into the ocean? I like to salmon fish and boat around. I currently have a 6.5 evinrude but I would like to get a 9.9 or 15 for it

any thoughts?

Welcome. Thanks for joining! I have seen it done, but I would only take it in areas in the ocean I know will never get rough. I would take your boat to a few lakes and rivers a bunch of times just to get a feel for how it will handle with you and all your equipment.

And always wear your PFD.

Jim

blazinjames said:

any thoughts?

#-o #-o #-o

I've had boats of that nature out in the Atlantic Intracoastal waterway, and on back into the flats and up the mouths of some coastal rivers.

Thats a tough one that only you can really decide. I have had my 14' tinboat out in the Chesapeake bay before. We had no wind, and the ocean looked like a lake. Putzed around for a few hours and then the wind started to pick up out of the NW... and the water started bumping up a tad. Needless to say we headed in. Kept the pfds on the whole time.

Perfect conditions can change quickly out in the ocean.

its not so much the length that worries me, Its that it is flat bottom and not too deep of a hull. i dont plan on going too far out but it would be nice to putt around the harbour and visit some of the near islands. and I love salmon fishing so i was hopping i could use it if it is calm enough

You would really need to pick your days. Wouldn't want you to capsize or end up adrift like those guys were for 50 days in a what I believe was also a 12 footer.

Latest posts