Vinyl flooring

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

albright1695

Reaction score
I am needing to replace the carpet in my boat and I am looking at going with vinyl instead of carpet. What type is best and how well does it bend around the edges of plywood? I will be laying it just like carpet with the recomended adhesive and stapling on the bottom(unseen) side of my storage locker lid. Ive never worked with the vinyl so I am open for all suggestions and info. that you guys can provide.
I will be replacing the plywood on both front and rear decks also. Probably will use marine plywood and wondering what type sealer to use that is compatible with the vinyl flooring adhesive.

Basically looking for some of you guys that have done the vinyl and learn from you.

I'm in the flooring business, and I deal with vinyl daily (loose-lay sheet vinyl, that is). I don't think you will get it to bend around the edges of the wood. It doesn't like to bend at sharp angles...it will crack. I've learned that the hard way dealing with the stuff :oops:

Yeah Ive worked with residential vinyl flooring before but Im refering to the marine vinyl that cabelas and BPS sells. I knew residential vinyl flooring would crack but I am wondering if the marine vinyl flooring is thinner and more pliable.

Nope. Marine vinyl is even less pliable. You have to cut it to fit the exact size of the deck. Still considering it for my build.

Hmmm! Looks like I will go back with carpet then. Carpet is gonna be more forgiving anyway so thats probably my best bet. Thanks guys.

Many of the lakes I fish don't have a dock, so tracking in GA clay to the decks is a given, and If I start tourney fishing again, it will have to be in rain/muddy banks. Because of that, it's forced me to find an alternative to carpet. If I had docks at the majority of lakes I fished, I'd consider carpet. The vinyl in the new trackers felt faily "cushiony" to me.

Yeah Brine I would love to have vinyl in my boat for the same reson as you. The red NC clay gets on my carpet too. Ive only really got one storage compartment lid that I will need to bend the vinyl around the edge of the plywood door. Hmmm... I still think there is a way to keep it from looking like a mess.

I have worked with vinyl material, reupholstering seats And such. Pretty much the same as carpet. I would however use a thin foam underneath as you want it to roll nicely over the edges. I would glue the foam, then use a spray adhesive to apply the vinyl, put one staple in the middle on the underside. Then the same on the other. After getting the middle nice and tight, on one side work your way out from the middle to the edges, at the corners you will have to fold it, you may have one pleat. Basically if is like wrapping a Christmas present.

Latest posts