Is 20hp Enough?

TinBoats.net

Help Support TinBoats.net:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PartsMan

Reaction score
Another round of will it plane.

What are the chances a 93 Johnson 20hp will plane out my Lowe R1655TN?
Expected speed with the right prop?

I will spend most of my time trolling and I am sure it will be great for that but,
I will need to get to a good spot first.

I have a 25 yamaha on my 1648 Alumacraft. It will run about 28 mph with just me and my fishing gear. My decks are pretty heavy. I had an 18 hp evinrude and it ran about 22 mph.

I think a 20 will plane your boat out, but it won't be a speed demon.

I had a 25hp 4 stroke yamaha on my G3 Proteam 165. The only way to get it on plane was to be by myself, or have the other person sit in the front. :(

And that is why I sold it.

So iffy depending on how much weight I put in it.

I can live with 22mph. Plus I think this later 20hp is supposed to be a lot stronger than the old 18s.

I still think I will try to make a deal on it. Supposedly it was "only used four times".

Is your boat welded? That would be a significant weight difference. Mine is riveted. Sounds like yours is wider also.

I got 22mph with my old 18 with just me and my fishing gear. It fell off hard with another person in the boat.

Being under powered is a pain. If it's a good deal snag it, but depending on fishing habits it may not be enough. I commonly run 20 miles round trip in a day of fishing and it's nice getting there and getting back at 30 mph.

I upgraded to a 25hp because I got a great deal, but I'd love to have a 35hp on mine.

Yes it is welded. About 400 pounds of hull.

I don't know that the price is all that great but a pre emissions
low hour two stroke does appeal to me. Plus it's the only long shaft tiller I have found.

Is this one of those motors that can be bumped up with a carb swap?

That Iboats link is for an older series engine. Not sure if it applies.

The bigger carbs and intakes are listed in the 20hp parts book.

Using a 20 HP Nissan 4-stroke on my G3-1652VBW. Typical load on outboard is 1100 lbs. (Hull: 400, outboard: 124, fuel/battery: 76, people/cargo: 500, total weight = 1100 lbs.) Top speed is 20+ MPH with this load, gets up on step easy, I'm happy with the performance.

Phil_R said:
Using a 20 HP Nissan 4-stroke on my G3-1652VBW. Typical load on outboard is 1100 lbs. (Hull: 400, outboard: 124, fuel/battery: 76, people/cargo: 500, total weight = 1100 lbs.) Top speed is 20+ MPH with this load, gets up on step easy, I'm happy with the performance.

Thanks for the specs.
I would be very happy with that kind of performance.

Not very often I would want to go over twenty in a flat bottom in the Oklahoma wind.